How much farther down in price will the displays go?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnbro23, May 1, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

With the latest two price drops in displays coming so close together, it seems like Apple is in a hurry to get these displays down in price. Do you think we will get another price drop in the next few months? How far do you think the prices will go down?

I'm buying the 23" display in about a year, and with the edu discount, I'm hoping for a price right around $1000. I think thats possible given the current trend.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It took quite a while to get the price down in the first place, and I wouldn't expect to see another change in price till next year.

If money is an issue, you'd be better off buying a Dell 20" or 24".

D

3. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Look at the buyer's guide and the last two bars are really short. Apple was definitely in a hurry to cut those prices.

Money isn't really an issue, although it is hard to justify getting an Apple display over a Dell one.

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I agree. They aren't going to go down very soon. Especially the 23" because very few people make them well, and for sure the 30" because no one makes it other than Apple, and it has an awesome resolution.

5. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

For looks and also I think they are a little better looking (Screen wise), although I've heard otherwise on this site.

6. OziMac macrumors 6502

Easy for me to justify - in Australia, the EDU price of the 20" ($1090) is the same as the price of the 20" Dell.

Admittedly, US prices would be wonderful (and at the conversion rate, I probably might have erred on Dell's side), but given the last LCD display I bought was a 17" Samsung for $1400-odd two and a half years ago, this is terrific :)

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'll be waiting for the 30" displays to drop $1000 before I buy two of them. Does anyone remember when the 22" Cinema Displays initially sold for $3999? How times they-are-a-changing.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Dell 2405FPW 24" display Woot!

I just got my new Dell 24" HD display today.

This product is way better looking than I imagined
    and the image quality just plain rocks.

Although the side panels are black, they are also thin, so
    the edges disappear nicely more in the background of your workspace.

The pedestal is large and kinda clunky, but also solid.

It also looks way better than the promo photos at it lowest setting.

I haven't tried connecting the built in audio outs yet or figured out how to
    work picture in picture and picture by picture , but it's probably really cool! <">

I finally have a remarkabley clear crisp image to work with and I am truly delighted.

I must thank my new best pal Joey at Dell education for helping
    make this possible.

9. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I too use the 2405, with my mini, and it totally rocks. My bud brought his 23" Apple HD display over to compare and immediately sold it on fleabay and bought a dell...

TM