How much faster is the new G4 800 ibook VS the G3 800 iBook

Discussion in 'Community' started by Danger! Will, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

I've been using my roomates G3 800 iBook with 256mb or ram and i love it but it just isn't as snappy as my 400MHZ celeron eMachines desktop.

At all times i have aol, 3 tabbed windows of various websites in safari, itunes, and gay.com in an internet explorer windows.

i love OS X but it's just not as snappy switching between all these apps i run.

Does this machine need more memory?

Or would a G4 iBook make all the difference in running multiple applications and switching between em?

Thanks

GTZDUDEx at aol dot com

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's barely enough RAM to run Mac OS X decently, so no, it's not enough to run the applications.

Also, I've found the G3/800 processor to be somewhat faster than the G4/800 in certain things, but of course, not DVD or iTunes-related things.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

GUI "snappiness" doesn't depend too much on the cpu power - it's more of the function of an OS. OS 9 was snappier. Windows tend to be snappier. those are generally true, regardless of the hardware...

anyway, in your case, switching between apps, i'm sure it can benefit from more RAM. as bosouzoku implied, OS X will happilly make use of as much RAM as you feed it. put in a stick of 512 and the machine should move along rather nicely.

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

defintely max out that memory. i'm running an ibook 800 g3 with 640 mb, and i'm not going to claim that my computer is the fastest in the world, but it works quite well for everything i do. at any given time i am running...

safari
    mail
    adium
    itunes
    word

none of these programs ever close, and the computer continues running well even when i open up other programs to do something new.

i will say that AOL is a hog, though, and if you can find some way to avoid using it as much, that would really help your cause.

5. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

From my experiences in OS X and Windows, if the machines have under 512 MB of RAM, then the Windows machine runs better, but if the machines have 512 MB or more, then the OS X machine runs better.