How much $$$ for AlBook G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rend It, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Rend It macrumors 6502

I'm pondering over an upgrade to my 1.25 GHz Al Powerbook G4 (ca. 2003). My plan right now is to try to make it last until about June/July next year, when I hope to purchase either a MB or MBP. This, of course, is with the idea that the new line by then will have Leopard and iLife '07 built-in, as well as be based on the Santa Rosa platform (more or less). I would very much appreciate any help/advice on the two following questions:

1) First, based on the specs (at bottom) of my current setup, how much do you think my Albook is worth right now?

2) The upgrade I have in mind is primarily a new hard drive (5400 rpm, 120 GB, $80). I also want a new battery ($140 from OWC). Is this worth my time, if I wish to sell next year? Will these items help the sell?

Specs (complete specs here):
    15.2" Al Powerbook G4 1.25 GHz
    1.5 GB RAM
    80 GB, 4200 rpm HD
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM
    SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    Bluetooth 1.1
    Airport Extreme
    Mac OS 10.4.8 (Tiger disks included)

also includes:
    MS Office 2004
    iLife '06
    iWork '06
    Vectorworks 10.5
    Apple wireless Bluetooth mouse (single button)
    WaterField Racer-X case and accessories pouch

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Will you be transferring the licenses for the software or will the buyer have to get their own? I would say, with the upgrades the very max I would pay would be around $650, depending of course, on the condition of the machine.

David

3. Rend It thread starter macrumors 6502

The machine is in excellent condition, aside from a cosmetic scratch about 1" long on the top when the lid is closed. No dead pixels. All software licenses will go to the new owner.