Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akboarder24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
Fort Collins, Colorado
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about picking up this system. Any thoughts? I've talked to him, and he know's that he's not charging any more for software without the CD's, he's honest on that part.

For sale is an Apple G4 400MHz Power Mac system with a 17" NEC Multisync FE700 Monitor, new Apple Pro keyboard (I hated the little one that came with it), Microsoft cordless Intellimouse, speakers (not Apple), and a USB 2.0 card installed in addition to the built in USB 1.1 and Firewire. The Power Mac has a Superdrive (burns DVD's and CD media), 384MB RAM, and an 80GB hard drive (also an upgrade). I have a copy of OS X (10.2), Norton Antivirus, and Apple's developer tools that I will include, although the system is currently running 10.3.5.
Kr5lN0sbzscp612RB9tqWh4VTVV4.jpg

tTnEU74zA6y1KMXyW4SLKz6Id9XU.jpg
katfd2f2Cr84pcUsOduxwGHrbM87.jpg

He's asking $475...willing to go to $450. Thanks for your input!

Ryan

J.Allen

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
You could offer to relieve him of deskclutter for free :rolleyes:.

Seriously dude, That system will be more hassel than it's worth. You'll end up spending money on it for little to no benifit. Save up a little more and consider a new eMac (if you must *shudders*) It'll be far less hassel and come with warrenty, software and tech support. Save that get a PC more bang for your buck.

note: Norton is the Virus ;).

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
Well, first a couple of questions.

1. What video card does it have?
2. Is it a gigabit ethernet model?

I assume he is using 2 of the 4 memory slots (128mb + 256mb), so you can add more ram. $450 would be a good deal (because it comes with the 17" monitor). But I would not pay more than that. If the monitor was not there, I would not pay more than $300.

You really have to ask yourself how much you are willing to put into the system. 1. You will pay around $50 - $70 for 512meg stick of ram. 2. Will 400mhz be enough? If not, then you will probably spend around $200 - $250 for a 1gig cpu upgrade. 3. You have some options with video cards, but if you are lucky the currently owner put in a 8500, or something like that. From the picture, it does look like a "reflashed" card (I see a DVI port). But this could be an older card that had a DVI port :(.

Now for my next thought. If you already have a monitor, I would look at finding a 466mhz Digital Audio Power Mac G4. This gives you a better AGP slot, 133FSB. These models are on ebay alot for around $400 (sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more :) ).

Kimo

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
kbonnel said:
$450 would be a good deal (because it comes with the 17" monitor). But I would not pay more than that. If the monitor was not there, I would not pay more than $300.

i don't think a 17" CRT monitor is worth $150...

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The $450 is an OK price, if this computer will do what you want. It looks like a Sawtooth (Digital Audio), so it has AGP but no ADC power. You will be able to run things, but not very fast. iDVD won't work because it insists on 500MHz.

The key point here is that "if it will do what you want". Don't plan on upgrading this machine or putting any more money into it. If you are thinking that you'll be wanting something faster in a year or so, don't buy this system. Yes, there are CPU and graphics updates available, but you'll end up spending a lot of money and not getting much value for it.

IMHO you'd be better off with a refurb PM G5...

akboarder24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
Fort Collins, Colorado

Well, I'm only looking for something that will be a web-surfer and stuff. I'm buying a canon 20D soon, and also need some HD space. Maybe an external drive would be better huh? Thanks everyone!

Ryan

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
How much for this PM

You can get an eMac w/o a super drive for $800. IT will have slighly less ram and disk space but the CPU will be 3X faster. For $100 more you get a superdrive and 80 gig drive.

Not expandable but certainly more current

JP(an apple certified unit for $700, 550 with a cd-rom)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.