How much hard drive space for Tiger?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by EGT, Mar 27, 2005.

1. EGT
    macrumors 68000

EGT

Hi there

I'm starting to get really excited about Tiger now. At first it seemed so pointless in upgrading but I’ve been reading up on the features and it looks like its going to be fantastic!

I'm a little worried about HD space though. I've got an 80Gb drive in my powerbook, and I have just over 2gbs left ( ahh! :confused: )
    After recently reinstalling panther, i customised the install and had it down to 2gbs or there abouts, I can't quite remember. Will Tiger be much more than this?

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Hmm, i am quessing about 3 GB but you never know, cos from the builds, they are on roughly 2.5Gb at the mo' i think so, ireckon you need to free up some space on Your HD.

DjVoTeZ

3. EGT
    thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

4. macrumors 65816

I would free up at least 10 GB. Mac OS X functions most smoothly when less than 85% of the hard drive is full. Get an external hard drive if you have to. Make sure it follows these suggestions:

http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug2.html

5. macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

6. EGT
    thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

7. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

That's why I have a 250 GB external LaCie drive for my iTunes library and all the Apple Lossless files in it; and therefore ~50 GB of free space on my ~80 GB internal hard drive - plenty for Tiger.

8. macrumors 68040

maya

Not sure if it affects experienced Mac users since I usually do a CUSTOM INSTALL and the last few OS upgrades didn't take more then 2gigs of HD space ever. Unless you use all the iLife apps and other 3rd party junk. :)

9. macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I still have about 40GB's left on my internal... Which should last me until I get a G5 sometime next year. Since I will be installing the Final of Tiger when it's out, I'll be down to about 37-38GB's. If I get motivated before hand, I might try and wipe stuff I don't need (3rd party sharware apps, files) to reclaim some more room.