How much has LCD technology improved since last update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bhennies, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Hi...I am very tempted to buy an Apple LCD display because my school is offering them at rock bottom prices. How much of a technological improvement might we see in the new ones? If it's just a pretty aluminum finish, I don't care. Not with the savings they are offering anyway. Thanks everyone...

2. syvalley macrumors newbie

How much....

How much are they asking? I'm interested too.

3. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a package deal from my school store. You can get the dual 2.0 ghz g5 with the 20" LCD and Applecare for 3367. I was gonna wait, but this has me thinking long and hard.

4. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

23" Cinema Display is probably an excellent buy right now. I want one.

Hey, Bhennies, good show in the TIM thread. Long quote followed by "Yawn" :D Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

lst. Let me say first that for the right price, the current 23" LCD is a killer deal. You can get more than $500 off the $2000 price? Regardless of any new technological improvements, a 23" Apple Cinema Display is going to look beautiful for many years to come. It's a good value.

2nd. Apple has fallen behind technologically with its LCD screens in our laptops and in the Cinema Studio Displays. Resolution has gone up, and the technology behind the pixels has improved dramatically. My iBook is very much old technology from July 2002 and I haven't seen much improvement in Macs since then, have you?

If Apple fails to take a giant step forward with new Cinema Displays, it is in serious trouble in that department competitively. Your opinion regarding a pretty aluminum finish on the frame is totally correct. Rumors have been floating around about a 30" display (TV size), HD TV receiver and connectivity included, and thin aluminum frames which provide for placing them in a side by side arrangement which can look like surround sound only video when 2 or 3 are used together. This already exists in the PC world.

There are new screen surfaces, brighter LCDs, smaller pixels, and production costs appear to be going down because all the major suppliers of screens (LG and Samsung are at the top) are ramping up production and using really good cost saving measures. Size and quality are up, prices will continue to go down.

As the owner of a 19" IBM CRT that cost $500 in 2002 but is down to $250 today, for the right price, I'd go for an 23" LCD any day now. There really isn't much that is very competitive with the 23" out there and you get awesome digital connectivity with an Apple Mac. I don't think it's nearly the same as being worried about the next G5 PowerMac release. Apple has even taken the unusual action of warning suppliers about a "dry spell" for some product, and Apple has been more aggresive about liquidating 23" LCD stock more than anything else.

The only misgivings I have are the potential price drops in 23" monitors AFTER release of new models compared to discounted prices today. However, the way they have been selling, there may not be any unsold new 23" Cinema Displays left by the time of a new release. So, there would be nothing to drop the price on if the warehouse is empty. Know what I mean?

I recently read an article in which either Samsung or LG was explaining how monitors 17" and smaller are immune to some of the problems and resulting solutions inherent in making higher resolution 20" plus screens. Also, they shyly admitted that Apple's graphics presentation on LCD screens is badly in need of a major overhaul. Apple cannot be ignorant of this and is likely working overtime to get us something spectacular. Apples = graphical images. They know their market and what is expected.

Did I answer your question? (probably too much info, huh?)

5. syvalley macrumors newbie

That's pretty good.....close to a $1,000 bucks off.

6. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, thanks a lot for the detailed post! I think that if you are correct, the next LCD revision may close the gap even more between LCD's and CRT's. I've been holding onto my CRT until that day. I hope it comes soon, along with 3.0 ghz powermacs. :)

p.s. that post in the other forum was crazy, no? sigh...angry, angry people.

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

The Apple Store for Education sells a stock dual 2ghz g5 with a 20" lcd and applecare for $4067. This means you have to ask yourself if saving $700 is worth accepting technology we know is due for an update in the not too distant future. If you hold out, the $700 extra will buy you whatever the top of the line rev. B powermac g5s are, plus the new updated display with a presumably better screen and matching design to your g5. Plus, if the new lcds are cheaper, which they really should be, then the difference in price will be less than $700. You also need to consider if you need the computer now or not. If you need it, buy it, and don't look back. You would have a totally awesome system at a totally awesome price. But, if you can hold out until the summer, and you don't mind paying extra for the latest and greatest technology, wait.

I hope my thoughts help! Let us know what you decide to do.

8. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

You are absolutely right- thanks for the valid points. Problem is, I need a computer very soon. I hope I can wait until July. However, it will certainly be worth it if I can manage. By the way, is this waiting game ever going to stop? I was in the computer store today with credit card in hand for a new 15" powerbook until I got cold feet (cue powerbook g5's rumor here). I'm driving myself insane with these macrumors. :D

p.s. plus I can almost guarantee that at the very least we will see built-in Bluetooth standard as well as maybe airport extreme. That's 150 bucks right there.

9. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Wait for the new G5 PowerMacs, just be patient a few more weeks.

Elan0204 makes solid points for waiting until the new G5 is out, something I had not considered as being part of your deal.
    The monitor is the tail, do not let it wag the G5 dog.

Besides, it's the 23" that has me panting right now, not the 20", you can get a 20 attached to an iMac. Since I'm very content with my dual 1-gig G4, I would not get the $500 rebate anyway.

Yeah, I would definately NOT buy a G5 now just to get a discount on a 20".
    I also believe that the G5 release would be in June at the LATEST, probably much sooner. Shoot, Apple is already selling 8x DVD-R media for the SuperDrives that it is installing on the NEXT release of G5s, it's not in anything else it sells right now, is it?

Did I mess things up for you? Sorry.

10. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Phew, I thought I was the only one about ready to throw in the G5 towel and get one of the latest 15" powerbooks. Must be some mental drug with the "new" apple hardware. I think what saved me was the latest barefeats.com comparison between the dual G5 and the new 17" pb loaded up.

Still that or the $500 monitor discount on a G5+23" is just so tempting...oh the agony. ehhehe ;)
    -jim

11. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Nothing matches a Dual G5/G4 processor in the 'Book world

Guys, if you have a Dual CPU for editing, creating, and crunching, then there is no grater freedom than a PowerBook or iBook can give you.

Mobility aside, no 'Book can compare to a Dual CPU PowerMac for shear brute force and stability. Nothing!

My PowerMac is my Office.
    My iBook is my Office on wheels - nothing more.
    Do not confuse the 2.

Repeat after me:
    I want and need a PowerMac
    I will not accept anything less
    I will wait for the new PowerMacs to be released
    I believe they are coming...soon.
    [​IMG]

12. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL. You're totally right. I NEED a g5 and have been kidding myself by thinking otherwise. It would just be so great to have a PB. I'm thinking of getting the combo drive g4 PB 12" ($1399) and using that as my mobile. Or even the ibook. **** who knows at this point. One thing I do know is that I've got lots and lots of time to decide :( . Thanks all!

13. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

well, except the new eMac ;)