How much HD space for basic OSX audio install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PCM, Aug 18, 2005.

1. PCM macrumors regular

I want to have a partition running Panther on my dual 1.8 g5 so that i can continue to run some audio software and plugins that are tiger incompatible (OSX tiger will be on the other partition for daily use). What is the minimum size partition for this sort of thing? (with enough room for a good bit of apps)?

Thanks...

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I have no clue as to how much space you should leave, but my guess would be the size of the OS + 5 to 10 gigs (for virtual memory).

Just wondering, (and was the main reason for me posting) what audio software do you have that will not run in Tiger?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Considering your main partition needs quite a bit of spare space to run smoothly, I wouldn't want anything less than about 15GB assuming about 6GB goes to Tiger and another 3GB for apps. That leaves a good 6GB of spare space assuming you wont really keep any of your files/documents/movies/music on it. :)

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I heard that osx likes to have around 5 gig free to function properly. Im not sure if this is true, if any one would like to clarify, but i would leave a small amount free.

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

You'd think so, but I've seen some eMacs run with only 1MB left (yes, MB, as in MEGABYTE) at school. People are complaining why they can't capture video anymore :rolleyes: . I was amazed that OSX was still... Alive... OSX WAS SUFFOCATING!!! And it wasn't as slow as I thought it would be. I was like... Ummm... You know when a process eats upp all the CPU, and everything is slow, but still, working (but not useful).

So awesome...

6. PCM thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have any desire at this point to pay the upgrade fee for Pro Tools LE and all my waves plug-ins (I am running version 4 and they require version 5 for Tiger). Not to mention having to purchase an iLok.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Im thinking of leaving a 20gig partition which will also double as use for a Photoshop / Illustrator Scratch Disk when running off the main partition (60gig).

I have a 250 SATA Seagate drive in the mail for my audio and image files, plus two 120 gigi FW800 drives, so all should be just fine from here on out.

thx.

7. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Ah i understand. One of the many, many reasons i refuse to use Pro Tools. I do not blame you at all for not upgrading!

BTW, i just checked my iMac, and it is running 10.2 with 6gigs free, and it runs fine, just a little slow loading up.

8. PCM thread starter macrumors regular

well, it's actually only 70 bucks for 6.9 (which is not too bad) but the waves upgrade is horrendous. And they wonder why so many people crack those plugs.

9. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I feel ya, i bought an Mbox back in the day when it actually was a very good small audio interface. I still have it but it only collects dust, as Digi has yet to release a stand-alone core audio driver for Tiger. :mad:
    Digi, now more than ever, think highly of their product line. I personally do not see it's worth. I refuse to use anything Pro Tools or related. I can do it in Cubase or Logic 7 just as easy (if not easier), and then there is always Digital Performer. Oh well, </rant>.