How much HD space on stock 12" IBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mcpix, Aug 31, 2005.

1. mcpix macrumors regular

Okay, I'm leaning towards purchasing a BTO 12" iBook with a 60GB HD. However, I see where Amazon is offering a $100 rebate on the stock 12" 40GB iBook.

How much free HD space do the stock iBooks come with? How much would you have if you removed GarageBand and the extra languages? Any other programs/files you would recommend removing to free up space?

2. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I'm pretty sure Tiger is 12GB. So a stock 40GB should come with 28GB free. Well maybe a bit less for the other rubbish that's on it etc.

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I just got my new iBook for University exactly a week ago today. I can say it came with:

27.85 GB free space.

But I deleted some of the apps it came with because I knew I wouldn't use them, e.g. AppleWorks, World Book, Nanosaur 2. Leaving:

28.9GB free! (Not that much! :( )

However, I bought this as a Uni computer solely for studying and a little programming, nothing more. Now that I've installed pretty much every app I ever use I have 24GB left, which is a shock after still having 100GB free on my G5 but still a Godsend after my iBook 366 of 5 years which has a measly 6GB Hard disk. I now need to start putting my music onto my iBook for uni, which will eat into my Hard disk space. I'm thinking of buying an external drive anyway to do a clone of my G5's hard disk so that I'm essentially taking that away with me aswell (As the G5 is my main computer!)

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

You can get a program called monolingual and remove excess languages and you can take out all the stupid printer drivers you don't need.

And if you don't use Garageband or iDVD that takes away a lot of disk space as well

6. mcpix thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed.

I was just wondering one more thing. I have Panther installed on my 600MHZ G3 iBook, and with all my apps., music and files I have 6 GB left (on a 20GB HD). Is Tiger that much bigger?