Price Advice How much is my 15" MBP worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kitkit201, Dec 23, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

So my workplace gave me the latest top of the line retina display model with 16gb of ram and 512gb SSD! Insanely lucky and very thankful for this !

I have my "old" mid 2010 15" laptop that I am thinking of selling since I dont need two laptops

The specs are
    Processor: 2.66Ghz i7
    Memory: 8gb
    Graphic: GT 330M 512MB
    It has the high res 1680-1050 matte screen option.
    Hard drive wise, I replaced the superdrive which was dying with a 128gb SSD. I've repurposed the other Seagate 500gb to be a secondary drive.
    Warranty has expired.

The condition is near perfect and had a incase around it all the time.

What would the value be ?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. macrumors 68030

Spink10

You will be lucky to get $1000 on eBay - check completed listings. BTW several on there show sold for 1200-1400 - all from the same user and same MBP - not legit sales. FYI

4. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I would say.....

$1000-1200 tops. The absence of AppleCare dont help in the price, for me. But helps a good cosmetic/functional state.

Take in account that the second-hand market is more price-wise than hardware wise, so the matte screen, with a value and the SSD, cant be appealling to somebody searching a deal (the lower $$$ figure). Also, if selling in an online site, take in account shipping costs and fees.

:):apple:

5. macrumors newbie

$800 low end. Ask $1200 and hope to get close to that.
    Cosmetic issues you might be challenged to get $800.

6. macrumors member

Congratulations on what your work gave you. Wish mine would.

Regarding this one: you've created a non-standard configuration with no optical drive. That narrows its appeal to folks who see the performance benefits, don't need an optical drive (or have an external one), and don't mind getting a machine that someone's mucked around with inside. Unfortunately, that rules out lots of people who might otherwise consider a two-year-old 15" MBP at a reasonable price. I suspect that moves the price you can get down the scale.

Sorry, but the market is unforgiving, so there's no point in sugarcoating things here.