How much is my eMac 1.25Ghz worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnbro23, May 3, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about selling my eMac for a new iMac... it all depends on how much you guys think my eMac will go for.

Here's the specs:

1.25Ghz
    Superdrive
    768 MB RAM
    80GB HD
    BT
    AE

I paid a little over $1300 for it. How much do you think I could get for it now?

2. sigamy macrumors 65816

You could probably do much better than $600 on eBay. People really over pay over there.

Apple has refurbs of your machine without the upgrades for $799. That comes with a 1 year warrnaty.

I think you could get $750 on eBay.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Naw, I already looked there. :D

4. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm thats pretty good. What does everyone else think?

I'm thinking about getting a new iMac... 20 inch. Do you think it'd be worth it. I don't really need the speed, the extra 3 inches would be nice though. And its so much sexier :p

5. iGary Guest

iGary

No, it would totally suck. Totally don't buy this thing.

It'd blow your eMac out of the water with a G5 2.0GHz processor and a 633MHz front side bus (almost 6X faster), you'd have a widescreen LCD display, one power cord, gorgeous looks, a blistering video card (4X the size of your current model), a huge hard drive and wireless Internet and Bluetooth.

Owning that would totally suck. :p

6. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol, at first I was like wtf is he talking about? Then I realized it was sarcasm...

I would love the bigger hard drive. I've been thinking about buying an external, I could use that in college. See the thing is is I'm going to be a senior in high school next year, so I'd only get a little over a year of use out of my iMac. I'm sure my parents or someone would buy it off of me after I move out. Hmm. I dunno what to do.

I would love the room on my desk. That would be a huge plus. So the big plusses I'm looking at with the iMac are space, HD, and screen size. I don't really feel my eMac's speed is slowing me down at all, the only time it lags is in VPC (obviously) and I've noticed in some random apps such as Dashboard and Garageband it lags. Not to the point where I'm like damn this computer is slow. What kind of performance from VPC can I expect with an iMac?

7. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I run VPC every now and again on a 1.42GHz DP G4 with 1GB RAM and it aint too bad. I think the new 20"iMac will be a bit faster than my G4, but not by much I wouldn't think. So yeah, you should be OK for doing basic things, you wont be able to run Doom 3 on it or anything like that!

8. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How about RCT1 or 2? I've tried it through VPC on my eMac... its playable, but not enjoyable.