How much is this 17" PB worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Grimace, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I love my PB, but I have been seduced by a dual 2.5 G5 and I might sell this laptop. Thoughts on how much it's worth?? Or - thoughts on if this is a good trade?

1Ghz G4 Processor
    1GB RAM
    60GB Hard drive
    Superdrive
    Airport Extreme
    Backlit Keyboard
    (no dead pixels)

Applecare - 2years left
    17" Powerbook bag

OSX 10.3.4
    Office X
    Macromedia 2004 Suite
    Photoshop 7
    Final Cut Express

2. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Because of the upgraded RAM and 2 years of AppleCare remaining, I was thinking around $2000-$2100. Eh? :confused:

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry, but I can't help with the value of it. Question, though:

Warez? Just curious. If those come with an original CD set and serial numbers, they alone increase the value of your setup.

4. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I got to install them from my edu institution (legally) - but, I wasn't allowed to keep the discs. :(

5. wide macrumors 6502a

because that software is illegal, i would not expect to receive more than 2000 USD. but that could be me; it's just that the 12 and 15 inch powerbooks are under 2000 USD each and are a lot more powerful

6. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

The software isn't illegal. My employer (edu) allowed me to install it so that I could become familiar with the apps - to help others where I work. I understand if the software is "worthless" because it doesn't have the original discs - but it is not illegal. sorry to get a little catty.

7. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Were you granted a license for the software? Otherwise, it would be illegal to have it installed....but to sell it is illegal.

Also, is it 1GB internal or mix and match?

8. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I was granted what we call a fully-operational demo; to familiarize myself with the software. Just for the purposes of being clean about it, I will probably just delete software that I don't have the license for.

The RAM is 512 Apple, and 512 Kingston.

9. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

After having been in the market for one very recently myself and doing a lot of searching for ones for sale, 17" PBs like yours are generally going for $1,800-1,900 with 1GB of RAM. I was lucky enough to get in on Amazon's deal in late July before they ran out of them ($2,049 after rebate for a leftover new/sealed 1.33 GHz 17").