How much is this 1g (Dead HD) iPod Mini worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mariahlullaby, Jan 23, 2006.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    My friend has a 4GB mini that no longer works. It's actually fairly new, as it's a replacement for her sister's original ipod that broke (replaced by Apple, so probably a refurb). She dropped it while cleaning it and now it's kaput. I took it apart and heard something rattling in the HD; when I boot up I get the exclamation mark/folder and that horrible clicking sound. Doesn't mount, and I can't force it into disk mode. Everything looks OK except the HD.

I told my friend if she wanted, I'd part it out but now I'm thinking of buying it from here and popping in a new HD.

What is a fair price for this? How much do you think she could get parting it out versus selling it to me as is? I want to give her a FAIR deal as it's my friend.

2. godrifle macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2003
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Cost of a 4GB Mini ($150 on eBay) - Cost of HD - Time & Heartache to crack case and install replacement HD. In a nutshell, not much, IMHO.

Keep in mind the 4GB Nano is only $249, and it's solid state (no HD).
  3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    I'd say just take the iPod in and buy a new one, you get a 10% discount if you recycle an iPod. C'mon you know you want to.
  4. kwajaln macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2004
    Worth about as much as a can of pea soup. Well you said it's fairly new, so I guess it's probably worth the soup AND a grilled cheese! :D
  5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Apr 21, 2004
    Actually you can get about 60 for just the screen alone! I would part out the 1g mini imo.
  6. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I have a friend with a dead first gen mini, as well. The 4gb microdrive is toast. Is it possible to replace the microdrive with any sort of flash memory? I get a decent discount on that, and it would be a nice present to bring it back to life.
  7. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    I would say not much. Fixing that thing yourself would be a pain.
  8. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    Well, I thought it would be sort of fun, a little project. If she can can 10% off by recycling it, maybe I should give her $30 (I'm assuming she's getting a 4GB Nano or a 30GB iPod)?

I want to give her the price that would be MOST good for her. So if she can get $60 for the screen and $25 for the battery, I want to give her $85 for the iPod.

9. advocate macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2004
    Oddly enough I've got an iPod mini (1G) with a perfectly fine hard drive and a dead audio header. I opened it up and fiddled and reseated the connectors and hot glued things in place, and each time I did something it worked for a while, but the last time it just wouldn't take any more. I replaced it with an iPod mini (2G). I wouldn't be surprised if more people were in my situation, though. I'm sure your sister can get a decent amount of money for it, especially as the mini isn't produced any more.
  10. xPismo macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    Dude. iPod fishtank.... oh wait. That... well, small fish? ;)