How much is this G5 worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Grimace, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Someone I know is selling this. She is a PC user and tried to switch - it didn't take. I may grab it, but she is charging way too much right now ($1650)

Here are the specs she gave me.

Dual 1.6GHz PowerPC G5 (Apple made a DP 1.6 - right?)
    900MHz frontside bus/processor
    512K L2 cache/processor
    256MB DDR400 SDRAM Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
    80GB Serial ATA
    SuperDrive
    Three PCI Slots
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    64MB DDR video memory
    56K internal modem
    Keyboard
    Mouse

I was thinking that it was worth $1200 or so. Any thoughts?

2. PRØBE macrumors member

1650 sounds like a reasonable price to me, though 1500 would be fairer perhaps.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No, a DP1.6 does not exist. Rev A came in SP1.6, SP1.8 (and later DP1.8) & DP2.0.

4. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I didn't think there was a DP 1.6

Maybe she is stupid, maybe she's a scammer. I'll have a test-drive before making any decisions. I think spending $1000 more for a DP2.5 is smarter...just more costly! :rolleyes:

5. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

These specs make 0 sense.

900 mhz front side bus would be the dual 1.8, there was never a dual 1.6 out....

but it can't be a dual 1.8 because it only has 4g max ram, and an 80 gig hd.

Unlesssssssssss it was the brand new dual 1.8 in which case it could be.. even then it still sounds sketchy

6. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM!

never was a dual 1.6

1.6 uses 800mhz FSB.

dual 1.8 uses 900mhz FSB.

dual 1.8 has 8GB max memory.

$1000 for a dual 2.5 is:
    1) money better spent.
    2) not a scam.

7. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

She said it was bought in April.

Maybe she mistyped 1.6 when it should have been 1.8. The new 1.8s have ....

WAIT A MINUTE! she's just lazy. It's a 1.6 and she copied the specs of the new 1.8Ghz. It matches exactly to the apple page.

Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
    900MHz frontside bus/processor
    512K L2 cache/processor
    256MB DDR400 SDRAM
    Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
    80GB Serial ATA
    8x SuperDrive
    Three PCI Slots
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    64MB DDR video memory
    56K internal modem

I edited the "expandable" line up from what she wrote. Scam or just stupid, she doesn't care if I come over and play around with it - so no harm there. I'll check it out. $1500 for a new-ish DP 1.8Ghz ain't bad. :p

The current 1.8DPs have 4GB RAM max so that would make sense if she just copied it.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

$1500 is pretty steep, still, but I guess reasonable. If it's a 1.6, I'd pay no more than that.

9. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

If it is the new 1.8.... then you're saving 25%. You can't get a better deal with that. I'm assuming you'd get the rest of the warranty, which has only been used since April. Not a bad deal at all. I don't think it's steep... rather generous. Probably cheaper then a refurb ... there weren't any when I just checked.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

She said she got it in April - it's probably an old 1.6. I agree, though, that it's a good price for a new dual 1.8. But, if she got it in April, it isn't....

11. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

true enough. It just goes to show that she is a windoze user. Just cut and paste some specs in and anyone'll believe it.

is this good?
    yeah, it's a Pentium... yeah!
    Without much consideration to anything else - ram, video, hd space, etc.

Now, there are some PC users that know their stuff, but as a whole, I find the mac community more educated. I know the ins and outs of my system... I got the dates wrong just because I don't have the dough to be looking at the stats for or trying to convince myself to get a new one!

12. w00tmaster macrumors regular

Refurbs from the Apple store for the SP 1.6 go for $1299, and come with a year warranty and the option for apple care. If budget is that much of a conern for you, check early in the morning(your profile says you are at harvard, which means at about 8 or 8:30 every morning Apple will list the new refurbs)
    So there is your bargaining point, you are getting a lot less from her than you would be from Apple(no warranty, no support)