How much is to much Ram???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mocman, Apr 13, 2005.

1. mocman macrumors regular

I love my Powermac dual. It has 8 slots for ram and I was needing to know how much is suffice. I have 1.5 gig already and would like to know if it would just be overkill in adding more.
    Thanks in advance........

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Depends what your main use is with your PowerMac....?

3. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

I do photoshop,graphic software and alot of other stuff. I am starting a digital memory service and will also do alot of video. This is my everyday machine and I do all that I can.
    I know on windoz the cut off was a gig and the rest was just overkill. I want to know if this mac is the same.....

4. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

To much ram - is that possible... sorry, if I hadn't said it somebody else would :p

I'm interested in the answer though

A

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Running graphic apps like Photoshop, I would say you're fine where your at. Doing video however, may require more....about 2GB ram from what I've read.

I've heard this as well. Like Photoshop only saw/used 100MB ram (at least with OS X). I made a thread on it a while ago actually. I'm sure someone with more knowledge in that area can clear that up.

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

when do you have to much ram?

when you run out of slots to fit it in or you buy more ram then the computer can handle

G5 can handle 8 gigs, you bought 12 --- thats to much ram ... LOL

7. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Don't bother upgrading unless you get into serious movie/photo editing.

8. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

ya ... i could see myself having dual 30" screens, 8 Gigs of Ram, terabytes upon terabytes of hard drive space, and still run out of screen realesate and resources ... meh