How much life is left in the high end G3's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MXDT, Feb 13, 2005.

1. MXDT macrumors member

How much life do I have left in my G3 iBook 900 mhz? This machine is only 1 year and 4 months old but I already feel worried about Tiger and future demands on the Hardware.
    I will upgrade to 640 MB from my current 384 MB but I feel even this will not breath enough new life in my machine!

I don't have any heavy application needs. The most I want to get into in the future is to use iMovie and the iLife apps.

any thought on the life span of this G3 900 mhz?
    Is a RAM upgrade even worth it or should I just sell it all together for a G4 system?

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I would say wait. Hold onto it until you can try Tiger on it. If it doesn't work, or you see that it will be inadequate before it comes out (sys. requirements, video requirements for Core Image) sell it then. RAM is pretty high right now, so I wouldn't upgrade it for a little while. You'll just have to see what develops by the time Tiger is released. At least wait until you have a good idea of the system requirements. My instinct tells me that a 900 MHz G3 will be plenty, but the video card may be a bit short or on the low end.

Daniel

3. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Well, considering that Panther runs fine on my 5 year old G3/400 Powerbook, I'm guessing you'll be ok with Tiger on your iBook. The RAM upgrade will certainly help.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I have exactly the same machine as you, and for almost the same amount of time (i bought it in may 2003), and i was worried about how much longer it would hold up. Luckily (or unluckily) it had a good ol' Logic board problem, it got sent away for 5 weeks and they couldn't fix it...so Apple are sending me a new 14.1inch 1.33Ghz iBook G4 with a Superdrive next week...so yay!!

5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

The RAM would help a lot, i dont think you need to upgrade anything. If Tigers does not run on your laptop hen upgrade.