How much memory can a Ibook G4 take

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by talkingtomyself, Jan 29, 2004.

1. talkingtomyself macrumors newbie

I have a Ibook G4 with 640mb of memory, the Apple specs list my current memory total. But on Ramjet.com list system max 1.1gig ddr ram, is this true.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    apple spec sheet was made before the larger dims were manufactured, my apple spec says my max is 1 gig, but now that 1 gig dimms are made it can support 2

apple doesnt update their faq

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

IIRC there is only one RAM slot in the iBooks. Their 256Mb that they come stock with is one 128Mb chip in the single RAM slot, and 128Mb soldered directly onto the board I think. That would make their RAM limit 1024 + 128 = 1152Mb. Not too shabby though.

4. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

You are correct, 128MB non-removable and then you can put 1GB in the slot.

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I saw a 1 gig ram module for g4ibook as early as in december on transintl.com. I made a few enquiries here, and came to know that other guys who have exceeded their 'recommended' ram through transintl were doing fine. But it was like 450 bucks, so I dropped the idea.

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I have heard of people soldering the 128 mb dimm out and replacing it with something bigger. So I guess 2 GB is possible!

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

2 gigs in an ibook is insane, the price v performance cant be justified, it cant be justified on a powerbook either, IMO. if you need 2 gigs of ram, just get a desktop. hehe

8. army_guy macrumors regular

just because theres higher capacity DIMMS does not mean they will actually work. Higher capacity means higher capacitance usually the DIMMS wont work in a situation where larger DIMMS are released after a computer. But before trying it make sure its possible to return the module if it deosnt work.

Looked on crucial the max is 640MB, ive had experience with crucial if they say the max is 640MB then it is. If adding a 1GB DIMM worked perfectly then it would of been updated on crucial's site. 1Gig DIMMS are not really for laptops.

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

1 gig dimms are supported for the powerbooks, otherwise my max ram couldnt be 2 gigs on the crucial site, and secondly my friends system profile wouldnt say 2 gigs on his laptop. hehe

10. army_guy macrumors regular

Putting 1Gig DIMMS into a laptop is stuipid why would you need that much RAM in a laptop?

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I like having 1 Gig in my PB. I use it as a desktop replacement though since I don't do high-end computing.

12. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

As do I.
    Try using Photoshop with a few other apps open. Then you'll see why 1gb RAM is handy in a laptop.

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

i have a gig of ram, having that much isnt stupid, it just depends on ur usage, what is stupid is buying 1 gig and only doing word processing and mp3 encoding, that you could do on 128

14. army_guy macrumors regular

Assuming its a desktop replacement then yes its OK, but other than that I think its not needed. For photoshop yes you need but serious photo editing on a laptop? I dono Iam not a fan of laptops frankly I push my desktops quite hard I doubt any laptop could take it, ive allways found laptops to be heavy under powered bricks for anything I do with computers. But using a PB 17" secure shell X11 window to control my Opteron and SUN machines is cool when I want to move away from my desk but give me a 20" wide LCD PB and ill be happy!!

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If I had one, I could run a 23" Cinema Display quite nicely with my PowerBook....

16. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

I'm sure people were saying the same thing as you a couple of years ago. Powerbooks now are a lot more powerful than Powermacs of that era. You'll be saying the same thing in two years time when there will be 3+ or 4+ Ghz powerbooks out performing Powermacs today. What's wrong with maxing out the RAM on your laptop to get optimum performance? There are lots of people who do serious stuff on their powerbooks while on the move, like FC, Photoshop, PT or Logic, etc. I think you rate these little beasts to lowly. They can handle a lot. Not like the G5s, but a lot.

17. army_guy macrumors regular

Yes they can handle alot, not in my line of work. Using it with an X11 connection is cool though, that way I have the peformance on the PB.

18. talkingtomyself thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

The advice was very helpful and I will take the chance and some 1gig memory shipped over to the UK. I use my Ibook G4 as a desktop replacement, but love the mobility of it as well and more memory will only benefit in the long run.

19. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

just don't expect applecare to like your overRAMmed iBook. going over spec may cause them to drop support (so take out the module before sending it to them if you have a problem.)

20. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well let us know how you go.