How much memory for tiger ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by veryfastmac, Jul 28, 2006.

1. veryfastmac macrumors newbie

I just bought a pismo and installed a G4 550 cpu upgrade and am running tiger with 512mb of ram my question is will it be worth the cash to upgrade the ram to 1gig? I already put a 160 gig hd 5400 rpm and everything seems to be running great but I have just orderd a DvD burner and plan to use it to copy Comercial DVD's so I can take the back up copy and leave the original at home.I must admit although this is not my first mac it is my first mac laptop and I am pretty pleased over all .I was selling alot of the G4 upgrades and felt it was time that I actually owned one so when a customer asks I can tell them from personal experience instead of reading them the company memo's

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

512MB really is the minimum you should have for 10.4, 1GB would really make a difference.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

It would help, and since its a low end G4(still nice but its a fairly older chip) the 1Gb RAM would help things move along

4. veryfastmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I will order the memory right away,thanks for the quick replies:)

5. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Yes, I agree with everyone: for smooth performance in simple tasks (no Aperture for example) 1GB is fine. For serious heavy work, 2 GBs is minimum. (I'm speaking out of my own experience)

8. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

i started with 500mb and thought well this is ok.
    i then upgraded to 1.5gb and am very glad i did. i like to have 4-5 apps open at once and 1.5gb works great.

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

1GB/CPU is fine with even very serious audio/video work, but more memory never hurts.

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Hah. My TiBook has only 384 and it's running Tiger decently. Course, it's not a speed demon, but it gets the job done.