Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I have a 1.25 GHz G4, currently with 256 MB memory. I'm trying to decide whether to by an additional 512, or 1 gig.

I haven't had the computer long enough to fully decide everything I'm going to do with it, but I use Remote Desktop a lot, and want to play games (Jedi Knight/Academy, NOLF2, Halo, Doom 3, etc). I might end up doing a bit of video work in the future.

Anyone have any suggestions?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I'd get it up to at least 1GB, anything more is a bonus after that, but 1GB is a nice amount for a PowerMac, and with memory being so cheap now it doesn't cost the earth to get it.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Well I've maxxed my Dual 1Ghz MDD to 2GB. Being how ram is so cheap nowadays, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade your computer to 1GB. Your computer will thank you. :D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
take it up to a gig but one thing, doom 3 is going to look like crap on any imac. 2 years ago they were demo'ing it on a dual 1 gig powermac and john carmack said it was a little slow. this is the problem with motorola and apples consumer machines. G4 has been left in the dust and motorola probably could care a less. Imac is a great machine except 1 lil major flaw and that is a slow never advancing G4 and when Doom3 comes out there will be a lot of crying coming from everyone using any of Apples consumer machines. this is a guess but i would bet a single g4 1.25 will be minimum reqs for this game and that will mean turning everything way down. sorry for the bad news but the fact is we are still waiting and waiting and waiting for g4 to move forward. Jobs had enough of this crap hence the G5.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've actually got a Powermac, but I'm aware that Doom 3 probably won't run very well. I might be getting a video card upgrade next year (I've got the standard Radeon 9000 Pro at the moment).

As far as memory goes, it looks like I'll be buying two 512 MB modules, which will bring me up to 1.25 GB :)

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Apple RAM

Related (but slightly off topic), how does Apple justify the ridiculous prices for custom RAM? They charge double to triple what PC places charge for the same amount of installed RAM.
I am not even going to go into how much cheaper it is to buy and install it oneself.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The stuff Apple sells is just Samsung memory rebranded. I've found where I can buy a gig of Samsung for $209, including delivery, which is a lot cheaper than the $400 that Apple charges!

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The 1 GB modules *might* work, but they're not officially supported. But they're expensive so don't even bother, just use two 512s.

Edit: According to Apple's developer notes, you can use 1 GB modules. You are still limited to a 2 GB maximum though.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Nermal
I've actually got a Powermac, but I'm aware that Doom 3 probably won't run very well. I might be getting a video card upgrade next year (I've got the standard Radeon 9000 Pro at the moment).

As far as memory goes, it looks like I'll be buying two 512 MB modules, which will bring me up to 1.25 GB :)

That sounds good. It should boost your productivity nicely, even if it's your frags per second. ;)

Since it will alleviate going to disk and virtual memory, you should be quite pleased with response times.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Well, I've done it. Just ordered two 512 MB Samsung modules (the same ones Apple sells). Total price $213.36 including delivery from US to NZ, which is about $3 more than buying generic stuff locally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.