How much money do you earn?

Discussion in 'Community' started by hvfsl, Jul 18, 2003.

1. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I thought I would start a thread where people can boast about how much money they earn. Since there seems to be a lot of threads that are about silly things (e.g. the Tardis thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=32543).

Well I will start off, I am at Uni and don't have a full time job, although I build and repair PCs for people where a get about £2400 at year (about $3300). At the moment I just live off student loans.

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i could see this becoming a dong measuring competition.... :rolleyes:

i can't find the zero key to show how much i make.

3. yzeater macrumors regular

$16 per week! Plus a convertible and insurance and gas

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

More than all of you:D

I am a monetary god:D

Seriously, I'm Senior Lecturer in a UK Uni, I got degrees up my arse and I make just shy of £40K.

I think the tenured academic in the US makes a lot more than that, but the responsibility to publish is MUCH heavier.

I'm in line for doctorate in the next few years, that's where the serious sponds are in UK academia.

I used to clear serious money as a commercial engineer/producer, and I still do the odd gig for chump change (call it £150/hour)

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have a real job - but you know what, I'm not going to post how much I make - it just doesn't seem appropriate.

I agree with j-lo on this one, there is always going to be someone who makes more than you, unless your Bill Gates, so I'll avoid the competition :D

D

6. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

About the same here. I work for a Biotech start-up as a medicinal chemist (that means I invent drugs :D )

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I've always thought that there were two questions to be avoided at all costs. The first was 'Never ask a woman how old she is'. The second was, 'never ask a man how much he earns'.

Maybe that's just me.....but anyway, I'm a student. What I earn is enough to survive on. :)

8. bryanc macrumors 6502

After 15 years of post-secondary education, earning multiple postgraduate degrees, and working as a postdoctoral fellow for a few years, I'm now making almost enough to live on (but not enough to support a family).

When I was working as a computer geek, I made gobs of cash, but I found it boring. So I went back to school and have studied the molecular basis of embryonic development since. I find it much more interesting, but I'm making about 1/10th what I was making 15 years ago.

I knew I'd be making a financial sacrifice to pursue my curiosity, but I didn't know how *much* of a sacrifice it would be (or how much more important money is when you don't have it). Something to consider if you're thinking about a career change. In retrospect, I think I ought to have stayed in computing, saved enough money to retire early, then pursued science as a hobby after I retired at 45.

Cheers

9. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I make $1850000 a year.

:rolleyes:

What a stupid thread. Yet here I am posting something stupid. Go figure. It must be friday.;) :D

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well...

I have a real job as well...I freelance...and I work on a bunch of projects that aren't making me any money just yet...

I'm declining to discuss my finances here.

Sorry, but I'm not very open about money with most people. I have to trust someone a lot to discuss that type of stuff. ;)

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Oooo

Oooohhh. 20"!

I'm 15, I work 2 days a week at my doctors office making a database for something like $100/week. (I'm 15, I don't make alot of money)

13. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I've never really understood the reluctance to discuss earnings. I mean how else are you to find out if your employer is shafting you?

14. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I don't see the problem in telling someone how much money you earn. It's like some are ashamed of what they get (or what they don't?).

As I began to work less than a year ago, it's been important for me to figure out what a guy like me could earn, so I could tell what I'd like to have. I asked some of my fellow students who finished sometime before me and most of them had no problem in telling me their income.

So what is so bad about this question? I really want to understand.

By the way, I earn about $43,000 depending on the rate of exchange.

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Look at the persons watch, or lack of watch.

What? It always works good.

16. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Perhaps by that slightly aching feeling when you sit down? :eek:

Comparing wages amounts to little more than seeing who can piss the furthest. Basically, it's pointless. If you think you're getting shafted, get a new job. If you're happy with what you have, why compare yourself to others when it's only going to make you resent that which you already have.

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Well, with different economies in different cities & countries, u cannot.

For me, it's a privacy issue. Besides, in the U.S., WAY too much emphasis is placed on wealth. It's unfair to judge a person based on their earnings, which is why I'd guess many humble people don't discuss it.

18. evil macrumors 6502

i dont mind discussing it because i make zero dollars.
    where i live the govenrmnent isnt really too fond of letting me get a job.
    im a us citizen living in canada for university.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

One of the biggest problems is that in the same company - especially with over 100 employees, there can be a huge disparity in the amount employees get payed. I'm not talking CEOs and such, but engineers, support staff, accountants, etc.

When you get hired you set you base salary, and that can be negotiated. If you're lucky you might get more than someone working at the same level as you.

It might surprise you to see what your coworkers make ;)

D

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

In my case I worked for the Federal Government, more specifically the Veterans Administration. So my salary was of public record.

Now according to my wife, I earn $0.

21. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

22. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Enough to pay the mortgage on a 3 bedroom 2 bath splitlevel in a nice subdivision of a stable suburb with a short commute via commuter train into downtown Chicago.

Enough to allow my wife to be a full-time mom.

Enough to have a minivan and a midsize sedan that are fully insured and start every time I turn the key (except when my kids leave the van doors open and the battery drains).

Enough to allow me to buy a few songs on iTunes without worrying about where I'm going to find the money.

Enough to pay a whole bunch of taxes.

Not enough to buy a dual processor G5 with a 23" cinema display.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

surely you jest.....

the g5 and 23" ers (two at least) come just after feeding your kids and just before insurance on cars. ;)

24. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Good call, my dad left me a Rolex Oyster perpetual dateadjust, its a beautiful watch and worth a bomb, I wore it to work one day and three people commented on what a nice fake it was:D

I'm just not the kind of bloke to wear a real Rolex I suppose... I'm going to sell it and buy a Rado Ceramica multi-function, now that's a watch.

25. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Graduate student working full-time as a lab technician in San Diego = breaking even