How much money do you think I got?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sebisworld, Nov 2, 2006.

How much money did I get back? Remember, the flight was 260

1. 300

5 vote(s)
  2. 260

3 vote(s)
  3. 100

6 vote(s)
  4. 10

16 vote(s)
  1. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    Three weeks ago I took the train from Hamburg to Berlin so I could catch a flight to Iceland. The train is scheduled to take 70 minutes, but instead it took 140. So I missed my flight and had to book a new one, which was about 260 Euros. But then again I just got a letter from the Germany Rail which included a voucher...

I would like to hear the guesses on what you think the amount of that voucher was.

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    An amount that doesn't matter to me since it's not in my hands.
  3. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I would rather have gotten on the plane on time then get some money back.
  4. sebisworld thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    Well, I did fly to Iceland. The 260 € is the cost of the new ticket.

And you guys are correct - 10 Euros is the amount I got... :confused:
  5. true777 macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2000
    California, Austria, Arkansas
    I don't think the railway company is liable for follow-up losses arising from their trains running late. Cutting it so close that just an hour delay causes you to miss your flight is a risk you chose to take, and you basically have to live with the consequences. I can see that they would reimburse you for part of what you paid for the train ticket, but I don't think they have to pay for a flight for you. I know it sucks, but that's how you learn to give yourself more time when scheduling trips.
  6. sebisworld thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    Well, I totally agree with you.

But let me add the prelude to this story: I live in a suburb of Hamburg and I have to take the bus to go downtown. The busses usually leave every ten minutes from the bus station just across the street. Every day and every night, at least so I thought. I usually take a bus that leaves me with at least ten minutes at the train station, so that even when I miss one bus, I can still make the same train. I did the exact thing on that Sunday, but unfortunately, as I later found out, the busses do not run that frequently on Sundays.
    I got to the bus station three minutes before the busses scheduled departure and the bus was either not running or it had already passed the bus station. That is why I missed the first train and had to wait an hour in Hamburg to catch this ICE train - which still would have left me plenty of time to get to the plane, if I had managed to make my connection in Berlin.

But let me assure you, I am never going to take the train to the airport anymore.