how much more will a PB G5 be?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rschapel, Mar 2, 2004.

1. rschapel macrumors member

Feb 5, 2004
    Last time when apple introduced the G4 to the powerbook range, how much did the laptops go up in cost? While I am certainly waiting till the next updates for the PB's , I have been kicking around the idea of waiting till the PB G5's, then I started thinking about costs, right now 2,500$ is the max I am going to be able to budget for this laptop (and I haven't even shown my wife the bag I want to buy for it :D ) Right now that would buy me a nice 15 inch PB with all the trimmings (educational discount here), I would also guess that I would get a similar but slightly more performance out of the next generation of G4 PB (if they release another G4 before a G5). But if they goto a PB G5, will we see an increase in cost in these units? I mean how much would apple charge for a laptop? I mean I know my personal limit would be a ~250 more dollars, if people think its going to be much higher than that I might be rooting for another G4 before a G5, so I can get new Video and hopefully faster hardrives with a slightly faster G4 for my "measly" $2500...

I mean personaly, the most I could see paying for a 15inch laptop is UNDER $3,000 and for that I would expect an awesome laptop with a 3 year warranty.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    i imagine they will offer a 15" G5 PB for under $3k. it may not be the best one they offer for the 15", but i can't see how they'd be able to market G5 PB if all they offered was over $3k.

warranty, however, i think will remain the same. you'll probably need budget ~$300 for the applecare if you want 3 year coverage.

i know nothing but i'd be prepared to wait a while... a year, perhaps?
  3. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    The current 15" combo powerbook costs the equivalent of $2950 in the UK so it's nearly there already. And we get the same 1 year warranty that you do...only Apple Europe is a lot more inept than Apple USA

You'd pay about a thousand dollars less for the same machine and no, it's not all tax.