How much music do you have?

Discussion in 'Community' started by coolocity, Jun 27, 2002.

1. coolocity macrumors regular

Is it just me, or is it impossible to fill up a 10gig iPod with music? I've never had more than 2 gigs of mp3s. How much do you have on your computer / iPod?

2. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: How much music do you have?

Hee Hee. I am a SICK music fan. And yes, I can fill up a 5gb iPod and am now going to be switching to a 10gb (giving a close friend my 5gb). I have currently on the ipod 782 songs and about a gig of free space (for files).

Right now, I have half of my mp3 collection in iTunes... and about 200 mb a day coming from emusic (if only TafAkr could get the tagging issue squared away!)

The attached is my current iTunes library. Physcially, I have 2500 cds, about 350 casettes (which I wanna get around to digitizing) and about 500 records.

:) I said I was sick. I spend most of my money on music. heehee

Attached Files:

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

mike, that's hardcore! :eek:

I only have 0.8GB of mp3s or so, composed of about 150 songs or so. The folder lists 180 +/-, but mostly because I have created different versions of songs, either censored or edited in some way or another.

On my iPod I have a solid 100 songs. I have the albums Hybrid Theory, Come Clean, (some others), 18, and Staellite. I also have a few comedy clips on there (about 2 minutes each) from Whose Line (both CA and DC versions).

I also have a few Disturbed, NIN, Trust Company, Korn, Orgy, SOAD, and several others. Nothing as "big time" as mike. :cool:

4. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

I have the opposite problem... I can't reduce my music to fit on my iPod... :(

Everytime I buy new CD's, and I rip some songs, I have to get some out of my iPod list if I want to put the new songs on... :(

k.

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

a man after my own heart. :) :) :) :) :) :)

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

moxie...I think it's time u sought some help... ;)

No..but seriously...I'm a big music fan myself. While I have probably about 400 or so CD's...I have about 1300 mp3's on my TiBook. Hardly touches a candle to u moxie, but I'm pretty happy. :D

I don't burn every song on every CD, as I'm sure many of u guys don't either. But I do have a extensive listing of Depeche Mode, Better Than Ezra, Madonna, Paul Oakenfold & BT mp3's in my library... ;)

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Actually, I have like 6 or 7 CDs and all of the songs from them are on the iPod! :eek:

And I think that people who actually have more than, say, 500 mp3s, don't listen to even half of them that much often anymore. It's like storing them away everywhere. And if you have 2000 or so mp3s, I don't think help will do the trick. I think maybe clearing out the songs from the least listened CD would help, since you still should have the CD.

And if you have 5000 or more, then you might be in trouble. Especially if you still listen to that many. :cool:

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

See, I am a big fan of having everything a certain artist produces.... it's odd. Have every Cure album, every Elvis Costello, every Smiths/Morrissey, all the DM stuff. All the Thievery Corporation stuff, all the Portishead, et. al.

Yea. I am sick. and yes, I have listened to every song at least twice (which doesn't mean I remember them. :) )

9. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

I probobly have 150 or so MP3s on my drive right now, and I prolly only listen to 30 or so. If I needed space they would be the first to go.

10. iGav macrumors G3

I have about 3000 MP3's on my 80Gb Maxtor..... I basically just rip every CD everytime I play one..... then I store the CD's........

Moxiemike... that's an outrageous amount of CD's.... and I though I was bad..... :p

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Strangely enough, this guy Keith I know used to work at Tower records. He has 6500 cds. Granted, his method of acquisition was less than, well, nice.... but still.... PILES of music

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Well I don't have an iPod just yet. However, as for my 1300 mp3's, I listen to all of them for the most part. I usually just leave iTunes on the library and let it go random play. It gives a nice variety...he he he ;)

Have any of u guys noticed that iTunes has a cycle in which it plays? I've noticed that it'll play the same songs often, and in some cases I can tell it's going through the same play order of other songs...weird... :rolleyes:

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

The Cure is cool...I do dig the Thievery & Portishead as well...

I cannot believe I forgot to mention Sinatra above in my listing... :rolleyes:

14. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

This I have noticed.... my version seems to REALLY like Morrissey and the Smiths. Now if only it were a cute girl..... hmmmm. ;)

Seriously, it is an odd little happening. Like, I can get the same "random playlist" two or three days in a row sometimes.

Then get something completely off base, iPod is the same

15. iGav macrumors G3

6500...... :eek:

Heaven....... :D

16. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Ah! Ol' blue eyes. And Sammy too. And New Order. And tito Puente. And Vivaldi. And Sting. And the Police. And Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gilliespe, Celia Cruz, Poncho Sanatmaria, Coldplay, 10.000 Maniacs, Oasis, Blur, Mogwai, Slowdive, Mojave 3, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, the Wedding Present, TMBG, Tosca, Oakenfeld,

ok. I'll stop now. ;) :) :) :) :) :)

17. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Mox, damn. That is unreal. I thought I had an insane amount at 4,200. Oh, well, better work to get it up. Wait, its not a contest. Damn. Oh, well. It is too hard to manage what I have right now as it is.

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

I usually have the same song repeat itself while I am typing or as bored as the living blue h!!! while on my computer. I kind of get bored with variety and old songs, since the newer songs I am interested in are a much different taste and, well, more extreme.

Example: A few days ago I was listening to By Myself by Linkin Park and now I am trying out Push It by Static-X, which goes up another level. :eek:

I haven't noticed the problem as you guys brought up about iTunes, and I better not get it. :cool:

19. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Heh. "Fair use" ...... heh heh.

A good friend of mine has in the realm of 50GB of MP3's. He does Mac IT work as a free agent and just asks if he can borrow a few CD's from clients from time to time. Add to that some limewire stuff you can't find on CD (live bootlegs of Jimi Hendrix for example).

I only keep about 240 Hours of music at any given time. I try not to rip whole albums if they're mostly crap.:D

20. iGav macrumors G3

Thievery Corp are so very very cool....... as are Portishead..... I saw them live in 97 and they just blew my mind..... I maintain that Beth Gibbons is the greatest living female singer....... :)

21. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

thievery's label has some of the best stuff out there. Awesome stuff:

www.eslmusic.com

Desmond Williams and Ursula 1000 are killer. Beth Gibbons is awesome--jealous that you saw them. Never got to catch them. :(

Who esle do you like Gav?

22. iGav macrumors G3

Mogwai, The Wedding Present, Ride, My Bloody Valentine.... ooohhh yes.... back to my old indie days... now here's music you don't see mentioned very often.....

Can't stand Coldplay though.....

23. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

24. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Mogwai.. wasn't that what Gizmo was in Gremlins? :D

25. iGav macrumors G3

I saw them at the Ashton Court festival in Bristol..... they weren't listed... but it was the worst kept secret...... they were just so good though..... would have loved to have seen them when the did the PNYC gig..... the DVD is so cool......

As for other bands.....

R.E.M.
    Rae and Christiian
    Kruder and Dorfmeister
    Kid Loco
    Curve
    PWEI
    SneakerPimps
    St Etienne
    Clint Mansell
    Orbital
    Underworld