How Much of a Difference?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Xanderxxx, May 13, 2005.

1. Xanderxxx macrumors member

I'm currently debating on if I should upgrade my ram, and I would really appreciate some help. I've seen some posts around about this, but none really answer the question completly (or maybe I didin't find one.)

I currently have 250 of ram, and my g4 emac has been going rather slow since I began using photoshop/office/safary at the same time. I wish I could just play hale without the studder. How much of a difference would buying a 512 of ram really make? I'm still a high school student and not really have money to spend around, but if it will really make a difference, I would do it.

Thanks for the help. ;)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

For all but the most basic work, upgrading to 512 or more RAM should remove a lot of the "Beachball moments" you are having now. How much RAM to upgrade to depends on the number of programs you have open at once, and the size of their data sets.

Photoshop, Office (which programs?) and Safari - I would be shooting for 1 Gb total RAM. If you are on a constrained budget, a 512 Mb module will take you to 768 total, which will be acceptable for now, then replace the 256 later if you need to go higher.

You don't say which eMac you have so we don't know if you need DDR PC2700 (1 GHz new model, 1.25, 1.42) or SDRAM PC133 DIMMs (700 MHz - 1 GHz)

3. Xanderxxx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    I'm on a 1.25 eMac. I know the max you could have is 1gb, but I heard around that you could buy a 1gb and use the 250 on the other slot, is this really possible?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You can install a DDR 1 Gb module no problem.

Look for a reputable seller who guarantees compatibility with your model, such as in the USA http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=1151 or in Canada, (ahem) us.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

5. Xanderxxx thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, from NY :)

The ram is a lot cheaper than I thought!

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i have the same emac and definitely noticed the difference going to 768 from 256 and i run basically the same apps as you (sub firefox for safari and add a p2p client) i recommend rosewill memory from newegg. the link is the stick i have in my computer right now and at a later date i might swap the factory 256 for a 1gb module after hearing from trevor that'd work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820223006
    and a 1gb stick of that: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820223021

edit: damn, that datamem 512's cheap...the 1gb stick's pretty expensive tho.

7. Xanderxxx thread starter macrumors member

$90 is expensive? really? I thought most 1gb were like $200

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Nothing like having to view a thread, because the thread title says nothing. How about "How Much Ram Makes a Difference" or something?