How much of a premium are you willing to pay?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vniow, May 3, 2003.

1. vniow macrumors G4

.....for Apple's products.

They've always been at some sort of a premium be it small or large, but when does it become too much?

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

That is a very good question. I bet everybodys level is different. Right now my premium is at around 10%. So a refurbed eMac is a good deal for an office terminal, but for a home gaming machine the premium is too much. :)

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

This will obviously depend on your financial means. I could have gotten a PC laptop and been productive, I wanted a powerbook ($$$) because it would make being productive easy, and I could have fun - all with a machine that is built well and one that will last.

4. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Im willing to pay how much i need and how much i can afford at the time. Im not sure just how much more i would pay, even though current prices arent bad...

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I don't assign any values. I decide on a case by case scenario.

6. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Zero.

I didn't buy my iBook or iPod for the brand name, I bought them because I thought they were the best value for my needs available on the market, period. And I won't buy an Apple desktop until I see a similar value.

7. nickmcghie macrumors regular

Yea, I agree with lmalave. I don't think we pay much of a premium by buying Apple. You get what you pay for. :D

8. kaizer macrumors member

Believe me or not, the iBook 700Mhz (CD-Rom) that I bought (recent switcher) is the best value of all if you take into account:

1. Software bundle (need I say more?:p )
    2.Size & weight (in PC world, a 12" is more expensive than a 14"!)
    3.Stability issue (I switched from Window 98)
    4.The sleep function is out of this world!!! (I only switch of my iBook during weekends for some spring cleaning)

there ya go... my value for money point of view.

Oh yeah... one satisfied customer here!:D

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: How much of a premium are you willing to pay?

right now apples only deal that I would go with would prolly be the emac. For 999 u get 17'' screen, cd/dvd combo, and a bunch of other great stuff + iApps. that is a good deal compared to the pc world. however 1500 for the bottom pmac is too much.

10. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: Re: How much of a premium are you willing to pay?

You're right, the eMac actually is a great value at $999, when you compare it to a Dell Dimension or whatever. The only thing you lose is the ability so swap in a new video card, add another hard drive, etc. That's important to me since I already have an iBook, so in a desktop what I'm looking for is expandability. I agree with you, though, for the average consumer that doesn't want to mess with their computer, the eMac is actually a great deal.

11. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The iPod is grossly overpriced. There are other MP3 players out there for substantially less $$.

You can get a 20GB player for $199 or even a 20GB player with a 1.5" COLOR LCD (take note Apple) for $439.00 which plays any video files you put in.

12. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The same players can RECORD sound as well.

of course, those players don't support AAC because it has only come out in a Mac format thusfar, but it's only a matter of time.

13. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

I think the premium beccomes to much when the uniqueness and quality of the products decrease. As long as they keep pumping up the R & D, and using quality hardware (with great construction), I'll pay that premium.

Chad4Mac

14. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Yes there are cheaper 20 gig mp3 players out there that do more. But all the ones I have seen are bulky, ugly or cheap ipod look-alikes . What you get from the ipod is the best navigation interface,: the scroll wheel, compact size and a design that is unparalled in the marketplace. No wonder that the ipod is rapidly becoming the best selling mp3 player out there.

15. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

well like all apple products, they have been designed to be as small, light, and cool looking as possible. they have to get all there money back first right?

16. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Are there stats to back that up? I suppose if there are 15 wintel companies trying to compete with each other, and only one Apple brand out there - Apple has the advantage.

17. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

JPGR_Fan

The industry stats came out several weeks ago: iPod #1 MP3 player in revenues, # 7 (I think) in units.

I switched because I felt the 1MgHz Powerbook was a better value than high end ThinkPad. No premium.

My iPod comes tomorrow. Since there isn't anything comparable, in my opinion, I don't think I'm paying a premium.

18. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

So does that make it #1 or #7?? An expensive product will yield higher revenues. Who has the number 1 unit place?

19. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/03/13.10.shtml

Apple is actualy only 3rd in market share at 11.23%, just behind RCA (12.95%) and Rio (11.27%). Still, being 3rd by a very slim margin is an astonishing number when you consider that iPods are so much more expensive. In term of share of industry revenues, Apple crushes the competition at 26.98%, followed by Rio at 10.13%!

I could've spent my money on any of the cheaper competitors (Creative Nomad Zen being the closest competitor), but I chose the iPod because of its smaller size and superior navigation. Unlike my iBook which I carry in a bag anyway, my MP3 player needs to be as small as possible because I carry it in my pocket. And it needs to have an incredible navigation system to manage the huge amount of content. Not to mention the fact that the iPod is currently the only MP3 player to offer the 30GB size. So I gladly paid a 67% premium over the Zen. I'm getting a 50% larger capacity, plus vastly superior navigation, plus a smaller size.

20. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

RCA is #1. But in this case the revenue differential is so stunning that I think it's the more significant figure. From a marketing point of view, the theory is that in the long run greater market share will earn you higher profits. But keep in mind that financially, money is all that matters. Higher market share matters only if it will earn you more money eventually.

The biggest threat I see is the share of WMV players (like the Zen) instead of players based on open standards like MP3 and AAC. If Microsoft manages to get well over 50% share of digital music players playing WMVs, then Apple will once again get screwed like it did in the computer biz.

21. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Given the educational discount and the quality and productivity, I'll pay the price, I think £2,500 is a huge amount for a laptop, but it's the only tool that allows me to do what I need at home and work.

Besides, I'll pay virtually anything to avoid using windoze...

Sure I could get a Dell or Sony for nearly half as much, but when I pull this thing out in the refectory a CROWD gathers, I kid you not:D How much is cooooool worth.

22. Moe macrumors regular

A Dell Inspiron 600m with 1.6GHz Centrino, 14.1XGA, ATI9000 w/64MB, 60GB hard drive, Combo Drive (no DVD burner), 802.11g, Bluetooth, and a few little software packages that don't come near what iLife does, priced out at $2630.

The 1GHz 15"TiPB w/ same stuff PLUS the SuperDrive, is $2799.

They look fairly close to me.

23. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

When I was looking for a new laptop, the PB looked a fair bit more than I wanted to pay, but being in a trade myself where I charged top whack but went to more trouble than the rest of the competition, I swallowed a bit of my own medicine. Now I can see why I had no trouble keeping repeat customers. The thing is working faultlessly, it looks the business, and I have peace of mind. And the extra money is all but forgotten.

24. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Re: How much of a premium are you willing to pay?

To me, it's never too much. Apple is the only computer company that does what it does, and deep down PC makers and Microslop hope it never dies because of the R&D that comes out of the company. They make the machines, the OS, the iApps that go on the machines...it's very unique, and that's what I expect those few extra dollars to go to...the continued R&D and ahead-of-the-curve thinking that makes the Macintosh experience such a friggin' joy to behold and touch and use.

I want a 25th Anniversary Macintosh, Steve! Bring it on, and watch me open my wallet!