How much RAM do you dedicate to your Parallels VM?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rogersmj, Mar 14, 2007.

?

How much RAM for your Windows VM?

1. 256MB or less

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. 384MB

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. 512MB

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  4. 768MB

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. 1GB or more

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I've been seeing huge variations in the amount of memory people allocate to their Parallels virtual machine. I run Windows XP via Parallels full-time on both my Macs, and out of 2GB memory in each of them I set 384MB for Windows. This is sufficient to run Outlook (for Exchange work email), uTorrent, Office Communicator (also for work), and a fourth app such as Visio, DB Designer, or Visual Studio. I see people allocating a full 1GB to their Windows VM and I have to ask...why? What the heck are you doing in Windows that warrants a full gig of RAM? Mine runs pretty darn well with 384MB and it's even usable with 256MB.

I know it would be somewhat better with more RAM, but are you really willing to sacrifice memory from OS X? I can easily eat up most of my 2GB of RAM in OS X when I really get going, and 384MB for XP/1.625GB for OS X seems to be a great balance. I'm just curious about other people's thoughts.

2. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I'm running Vista Ultimate, so I dedicate a lot of RAM to Parallels -- 1 Gig. I have 2 gig installed, so I can spare it with no problem. I also like to use Dragon Naturally Speaking, which is a huge RAM hog, so I need the extra Windows memory.

3. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah I guess if you're running Vista I can understand 1GB. But I don't run Windows for the questionable "experience", I run XP just to have access to a few apps. I don't care about the experience, and having used Vista at work for the last couple months I know I never want it. Also, I can't stand using OS X with only 1GB or RAM, so even having 2GB in both my Macs I wouldn't make that sacrifice.

4. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Well, I'll leave the pros and cons of Vista discussion to someone else, but I don't have a problem devoting 1 gig to Parallels because I don't keep it running when I'm not on a Windows task and I don't tend to multitask between OS X and Windows programs. But if you do, I can understand your point of view.

5. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I've been using 512 MB for my XP installation in Parallels since last year. Less than that has been fine for the occasional times I need to check something in Win98 or some flavor of Linux.

However, I've found that the latest version of Parallels (including the betas leading up to it -- the one with Coherence and all of that) is a huge memory hog. On my Macbook with 2 GB of memory, things become unusable when my XP virtual machine is running and doing anything significant. The whole machine slows to a crawl as memory is swapped in and out. This is on a 2 GB machine! :mad:

It's frustrating enough that I'm seriously considering going back to the previous stable release of Parallels. That one worked fine, and I can live without the Coherence glitz if my machine becomes much more usable. I never thought I'd be wishing for 4 GB (or more) of memory so soon!

6. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah I do have it running full time on my iMac, I guess that's an important distinction to make.

I don't run it full time on my MacBook...not because of memory concerns, but because it keeps the CPU running at about 15% all the time and kills my battery.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Try running any Eclipse based product for any amount of time, the more RAM the better. In my case I run IBM Rational Application Developer, Portlet Factory, and Websphere Application Server.