how much ram for ibook g4??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by arcterix100, Oct 5, 2004.

1. arcterix100 macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2004
    hi, i have a 1ghz g4 ibook (12inch model) and when im running garage band its damn slow and i can only run 2 tracks before it sends me a core audio alert... I also use the ibook for photoshop and some 2d/3d drawing (CAD). Now my question is: should i guy 1ghz of ram or is 512mb gonna do the job. Since im a student and the price difference is pretty steep, id like to save money if its not worth the extra 512. So whats your call, anyone upgraded ram on there ibooks??

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    This may sound dumb, but the rule for ram is, buy as much as you can afford.
  3. herrmill macrumors member

Mar 20, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL, Shanghai, China & NW 11/12
    As said earlier, buy what you can afford, but I'd recommend getting a 1G stick. I tool advantage of the recent deal mentioned earlier in the forums & bought a stick for $129 last month. Works like dream & am totally satisfied with my purchase.
  4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Gotta agree - more RAM is always better, and in this case, it would definitely be worth it, as you'd notice a significant improvement. 512 MB would definitely work for your current situation, but I would have to recommend 1 GB even though I realize it's more expensive. RAM is one of those few things where, even if it's slightly pricey, you get a lot of bang for your buck when upgrading.