how much ram for my ibook??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by arcterix100, Oct 5, 2004.

1. arcterix100 macrumors newbie

hi, i have a 1ghz g4 ibook (12inch model) and when im running garage band its damn slow and i can only run 2 tracks before it sends me a core audio alert... I also use the ibook for photoshop and some 2d/3d drawing (CAD). Now my question is: should i guy 1ghz of ram or is 512mb gonna do the job. Since im a student and the price difference is pretty steep, id like to save money if its not worth the extra 512. So whats your call, anyone upgraded ram on there ibooks??

thanks
    pete

2. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

I have a 1 GHz Titanium PowerBook with 512 MB of RAM, which runs Garage Band well enough so I've never had any slow-downs or error messages.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The 1 ghz ibook has 256 mb onboard ram, so if you buy a 512 mb stick it will bring you up to 768mb ram.
    I'm running gb fine with 768 mb (using multiplae tracks, often 12+ with effects on a few of the tracks.) haven't experienced any lags yet.

4. budugu macrumors 6502

Get 1 GB if you want to keep the ibook for some time!

I think now average price of a 512 MB ram is 90$ and of 1 GB is 200$ (some name brand- kingston/Kingmax).see
    www.newegg.com
    They are pretty decent brands!

So it is upto you both 512 and 1GB should be good for you. if you want to keep the ibook longer (couple of years!) get the 1 GB module. Some have got completely generic RAM working fine for 140-160$ also at
    www.outpost.com

PS:The crucial ram that people love to talk about here is the same. Just that their 1GB module is so costly for it is ECC thats all and they donot have non-ECC! (i use both crucial and Kingmax - cannot tell the difference)

5. lasuther macrumors 6502a

With the price at $138 (512MB) compared to $380 (1Gig) from Crucial, I think you would be better off with the 512MB. Maybe in two years the 1Gig will be under $200. Then you can upgrade to that, and toss your 512MB. It will still be cheaper than paying $380 now.

lasuther

6. Jim_N_Tonik macrumors newbie

I've got a 12" iBook G4 1Ghz w/ 768mb RAM -- runs very well, I'd suggest getting an extra half gig. Worst case scenario is you want to upgrade to the gig in a couple years, by then it should be cheap to do so.