How much RAM is adequate?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vkapoormd, Aug 19, 2004.

1. vkapoormd macrumors member

So, finally got my G5 stock 2.5, and was going to order RAM from Crucial. How much is adequate (without breaking my bank acct) for Photoshop work (working with RAW files 13-15 mb) and video editing with Final Cut Express? I was thinking of adding 2 more gigs for a total of 2.5. Is that overkill, can i go with less or does that sound about right? Thanks. :confused:

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have 768 in my PowerBook, and it's hardly wanton for more RAM using FCP, Adobe CS, and Macromedia Studio MX. I would think that you could get by with 1.5GB of RAM even. I would suggest trying that, and if you are noticing lag at all, maybe pick up another 512MB for an even 2GB.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you've paid out all that money it's only right to stick at least 2GB of RAM in the thing, otherwise I don't really see the point in having spent all that money on a top of the line system like that in the first place.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Might be slight overkill in the short term, but you may well end up getting that much anyway later on. If you can afford it now you probably won't regret it. If you can't afford it now it'll only be cheaper later.

Honestly 1.5GB should be more than enough. 1GB will be extremely workable.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....When my 2.5 arrives I will have 1.5GB ram - mostly I do audio stuff with it...I will see how it goes for a while and then if necessary add another GB later....oh yeah!

6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

for me 2gb ram has always been a sweet spot.... i had it in my 1.8 dualie and i think thats a real sweat point...no lag ever (with in reason) and not huge overkill....

have you got 512mb stock? if you have just get 2x512 and 2x256 3 banks or 2... sweet...

im going for a gig of ram in my powerbook (got a lowly 512 at the moment)

i remember the days of oh wow and its got 64mbram...
    and you can upgrade it to 128 lol...

7. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Photoshop performance seems to plateau once you reach 2 GB of RAM according to the benchmark tests I've read online (I believe Bare Feats was one site that did a test a while back on this), so I'd say that is probably a good target to shoot for.

8. vkapoormd thread starter macrumors member

thanks, i will go with 2gb..
    :)

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I will say that the PB 12" rev. B that i upped to 1.2gb is a sweet spot. Though for the 2.5ghz G% I would say it would be 2gb. Be sure to look at OWC. They don't play the pricing games that Crucial does based on the browser you use.

10. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

sweet spot for when you are using what? i.e. what are you using your powerbook for?

iPhoto is a little slow on going from pic to pic when i am going through my pictures. I wonder if more RAM will make work with my 1-3MB picture files a bit more smooth. (referring to work on new powerbook with 512MB)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How much better is the performance of 1.28GB of RAM over 768MB of RAM? I only have 512MB at the moment, and didn't think getting a 512MB stick for $100 was worth it at the moment, since I'm only getting another 256MB or RAM, which may or may not be very noticeable.

Only problem I have is with iPhoto and some very very basic PS stuff that I do, but iPhoto may be slow because its actually not a very good program. I use it anyway because it handles my photos good enough, but its not the greatest. I just can't be bothered to use the other free alternatives that I've read about.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I do page layout work (DTP), and I have Mail, Safari, Adobe InDesign, Acrobat (full and Distiller), Word and Excel open, and it does very well. Do I Need More Memory program indicates at times that I could make do with another 128 to 256mb, though the program tells me that I won't see too much more in speed.

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i use 1 gig on my pbook, but if i had a desktop id put at least a gig; 2 would be nice if you have the cash