How much RAM to run...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GULCkid, May 8, 2005.

1. GULCkid macrumors member

How much RAM would you say I'd need (bare minimum) to smoothly run Tiger, Word04, Excel04, safari, azureus, quicktime, itunes, adiumX, iCal, and entourage on a new PB?

I know people on this forum usually say "get as much ram as you can afford" and "what about futureproofing?" but I'm really trying to figure out the bare minimum I'd need to run those things smoothly today.

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

2. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

3. GULCkid thread starter macrumors member

4. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Bare minimum: 256Mb. But the PBs come with 512Mb which is even better.

5. GULCkid thread starter macrumors member

Really, and it will all run smoothly?

6. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that wanted to run these apps at the same time.

7. GULCkid thread starter macrumors member

Yes, you were correct, I want to run them smoothly at the same time.

8. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Oh! Haha slight misunderstanding then!

In that case, I would recommend 768mb on a 12", and 1Gb on a 15" (it'll cost the same, because they both would involve a 512Mb chip to upgrade).

I have 1Gb on my brand new 1.67ghz PB and it's very smooth... if only the CPU were faster for the number crunching though... :rolleyes:

9. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

i feel 512 would be fine for running all of those apps smoothly at the same time. 728 would be better and a gig would be fabulous :)

10. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Get 1 GB

Overall, I'd recommend 1 GB of RAM. If you're gonna shell out money for 512, you might as well spend the extra amount for 1 GB. Trust me, you'll fell better that you did.

You'd hate to be in a position someday down the road regretting your decision to go for less. I've done that before so I know what it feels like

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i would go with a gig as well because Azureus takes RAM like there is no tomorrow

12. unfaded macrumors 6502

512: Bearable
    768: Nice
    1 Gig: Wow, did adding that little RAM really make THAT big a difference?

That's how it went with my eMac.

13. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

I see people talking about having 2 gig, 2.5 gig, or in a couple of cases, 4 gig of RAM. For an everyday user doing web surfing, software development, video editing, audio conversion, etc., is it necessary to have that kind of RAM? I ordered my Power Mac (soon to be here) with 1 gig of RAM. I figured that would suffice for what I want to do with it. :confused:

14. iBunny macrumors 65816

I have a slightly lower performance Machine. An iBook 14' G4 1.33Ghz. Before I even turned the thing on, I popped an additional 512MB of RAM in their. (total 768MB) and it is good.

When I turn on the Computer, I can go in Activity Monitor and it shows I have abour 350MB of ram Free. (so what that tells me, is if I had left bare minimum 256 in their, I would be hurting). For me, 768MB is enough. I can run Word, Excel, Mail, iCal, iTunes playing music, and safari just fine all at the same time. The only time I run out of memory, is when in Safari I have multiple pages with lots of pictures. And im talking about Multiple pages with 20 - 30 pictures apeice on them. Then I get swapping to the Hard drive and I get a beach ball :( But I think thats still pretty good for this little Machine. In about a year, I will get a 1GB stick (for a total of 1.25GB) but for now, its not needed. :D

15. macorama macrumors regular

Well, in the powerbook you can only have 512,768 or 1.25Gig of RAM. Seeing as there's only one upgradeable slot, you will have to throw away some RAM if you decide to upgrade again later, so it's best to get it right first time.

Any of those is going to usable, 768 is probably the sweet spot.

16. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

depends on what you are doing with that quicktime

what are you doing with quicktime? if you are playing a 1080 HD video then you're going to need a lot of memory (and a dual g5!)

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've got 640MB and I very rarely see any bouncing beach-balls so 768MB really should be fine.

18. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I also have 640mb RAM and only a 867mhz G4 and I do fine running all of what you said...except I still have panther.

19. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

I have a brand new PB 12" 1.5GHz 512mb ram purchased in February. And let me say I get the spinning beach ball MUCH more often than I would have hoped.

I only run firefox, itunes, iphoto, and word simultaneously. And iphoto especially slows down the PB. =(

I'm looking to get some RAM soon. How much would it cost and where should I look??

20. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

newegg

newegg, cheap lifetime warranty, good stuff thats where im buyin from wheni i upgrade.