How much RAM?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mms, Jan 16, 2004.

1. mms macrumors 6502a

I have a Lombard that I would like to upgrade to Panther from OS 9. I have 192 megs of RAM installed. Although Apple says the minimum required is 128 megs, I have often heard that for OS X, the more RAM there is, the better it is.

I'm wondering, just how much is enough? I just want to get enough that OS X would run smoothly, about as well as OS 9 does.

Also, where is the best place to get RAM and does brand matter?

2. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

I would get at least 768 or more. A apple rep pointed me to these ppl for ram. Its all I use for both of my computers.

Ramjet

3. mms thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'll look into it. Any other opinions?

Does anybody know what is the maximum amount of RAM that could be in a Lombard? I'm having trouble finding out, with conflicting sources. apple-history.com says 512 is max, while theapplemuseum.com says that 384 is. Any help would be appreciated.

4. iEric macrumors 6502a

I think its 384. Why don't you call the Apple?

5. manitoublack macrumors newbie

32bit systems can handel up to 4GB of RAM. However this isn't an option in your case. Give apple a call and see what the max is for your system and go from there.

www.pricewatch.com is a great place to shop.

6. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

It depends on what Lombard your talking about (Mhz wise). Might try looking at everymac.com

I wouldn't try RamJet. Try dealram.com instead. Comparing the two, dealram always finds the lower prices.

7. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

TransIntl.com has all the specs on memory for all the apple machines. The Lombard max memory is listed at 512.