Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yklxcq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
thank you.
By the way, does anyone here got a nice calibrate profile can share?
thx in advance:)

yklxcq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
inlimbo said:
Just looking now... I have it on about half way. I don't see why you need it any more than that. Just a nice subtle glow :)
MY point of view is at least your blank space should really close to what white paper looks like, is that criteria reasonable?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
i dont know why anyone would like it less than full, unless you're prone to migraines or something. its funny, when i have got a migraine i can use my PB on its lowest light setting and be totally fine! even though a lightbulb would make me throw up

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Full backlight - which isn't like staring at the sun. Just the same type of brightness as set on my CRT monitor (okay, I suppose that's a lot brighter - so it's as close as I can come) or television. I find that's personally more pleasant to look at and easier to read.

Outside - even inside with lots so sunlight coming in, it seems like full is a minimal requirement.

As it gets darker and my keyboard lights come up, the screen brightness goes down, similar to the automobile display dimming when ful-headlights are switched on. I like that feature of preserving lower-light vision. (you can test the PB response on the 15 and 17 by covering the speakers on either side with your hands (light sensor is in there somewhere) - your display should dim down and then re-brighten when you remove your hands).

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I keep all of my notebook computers' backlight to 20% to 30% setting to increase the longevity of the back light life. I think the typical back light will last 60,000 hours if you keep using it at 50% brightness.

For my two Al PBs, I will use them as clamshell mode with ACD screens, when I am at home. So, those two screens will last years (it should outlive the rest of components on PB).

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
If I'm outside on battery, I'll turn it down to the lowest it'll go where I can still see it. Why put it on full and use up all that battery power? It's not like I'm doing post processing outside in the park, so I don't really need full brightness. Sometimes in direct sunlight you can turn the brightness all the way off and still see the screen.

On my iPaq I turn the backlight off on bright sunny days. Use the sun for light, and saves battery power ;)

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
YS2003 said:
I keep all of my notebook computers' backlight to 20% to 30% setting to increase the longevity of the back light life. I think the typical back light will last 60,000 hours if you keep using it at 50% brightness.

For my two Al PBs, I will use them as clamshell mode with ACD screens, when I am at home. So, those two screens will last years (it should outlive the rest of components on PB).

Or you could max it out for 30,000 hrs and then after that is up your screen will be dimm as you have it now for the other 30,000 hrs but at least for 30,000 hrs you will see a nice bright screen. As you have it now you will never see a bright screen. MAX IT OUT!

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
YS2003 said:

That's 6.4 years, assuming the PB is on 24 hrs a day. I don't have my PB screen up 24 hrs a day so even if I get 30,000 hrs maxed at a few hours a day, if wasn't obsolete it seems I could use it for decades. Let's assume 4 hrs use a day - that will last me 7,500 days (assuming 30,000 hrs at max bright) - that's 20.5 years of maxed backlight use!

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
law guy said:
That's 6.4 years, assuming the PB is on 24 hrs a day. I don't have my PB screen up 24 hrs a day so even if I get 30,000 hrs maxed at a few hours a day, if wasn't obsolete it seems I could use it for decades. Let's assume 4 hrs use a day - that will last me 7,500 days (assuming 30,000 hrs at max bright) - that's 20.5 years of maxed backlight use!

Check out the brains on Law Guy.

So basically MAX THAT SUCKER OUT. It will look nicer. :cool:

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
MacTruck said:
Check out the brains on Law Guy.
The screen on my blueberry iBook is really, really dim (even after warming up.) I can tell you, it kills the experience :( Replacing it would cost a stupid amount of money.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
5300cs said:
The screen on my blueberry iBook is really, really dim (even after warming up.) I can tell you, it kills the experience :( Replacing it would cost a stupid amount of money.

I see. Isn't it time to replace that ibook with a new one though?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
MacTruck said:
I see. Isn't it time to replace that ibook with a new one though?

No, I already have another, newer, iBook. It's a G3, too, which is still a perfectly useable chip.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
5300cs said:
No, I already have another, newer, iBook. It's a G3, too, which is still a perfectly useable chip.

You might be able to replace that ibook screen for like $200 off of ebay. Think they use the standard Samsung screen.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
Well,right now i'm in bed, with my powerbook on the lowest setting, looks plenty bright, much more and i can feel my eyes straining to close down enough not to burn the back of my eye, also have the keyboard light on the lowest level

during the day it's normally just under half way, mostly in a fairly dark room,

if i'm outside it's full bright, otherwise i can't see anything on the screen :D

So, in summery, it depends alot on the ambient light, tonight try using your screen at full brightness with all the lights off, it will seem very bright :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.