How much space do "Apps" take up on your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 9OOYO, Mar 9, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I'm thinking of hitting up the 16GB and am trying to get an idea of how much space apps take up.

Main function of the iPad will be comic books...LOL....I know. With the potential of buying the Garageband and IMovie apps for iPad I'm wondering how much they may bake up.

64GB is overkill IMO b/c another iPad will be out within 3 generations to replace this bad boy. but maybe not!

2. macrumors 6502

There's no real answer - they range from a couple of MBs to 100s MBs depending on the app. Best thing to do is check out the apps you want in the iTunes store and see what they're weighing in at. Some big games such as Infinity Blade come in at over half a gig.

3. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm at 33.2gb App wise.

Most of the big capacity apps are games.

4. macrumors 68040

I would venture to say your "average" user probably doesn't have more than a couple GB's of apps. But then again your average user basically plays Angry Birds, Surfs the Internet, and checks email on their iPad so they wouldn't use a lot of space.

I have a 32GB iPad, that I have probably 50+ applications of various types, 4GB of music and 15-20 movies (using about 8-9GB) on it with no space issues.

Edit: And yes one of the games is Infinity Blade.

5. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

To show you how much space say games take up here is a list of my games currently installed and taking up 29gb of the app share on my iPad.

These are all bought apps, no lite versions and certainly no pirate applications. It's the main reason I'll never leave the iOS for Android because of the investment in Apps.

I bought a lot of these when they are on special pricing.

N.O.V.A
    N.O.V.A 2
    Brother In Arms 2
    Shadow Guardian
    Splinter Cell
    Prince of Persia warrior within
    Prince of Persia classic
    Spiderman
    Zombie Infection
    Eternal Legacy
    Heroes of Sparta 2
    Dungeon Hunter
    Let's Golf 2
    Real Tennis
    Real Football
    The Settlers
    Galaxy On Fire 2
    Star Battalion
    Dead Space
    Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
    Need For Speed Shift
    Real Racing HD
    Reckless Racing HD
    Madden NFL
    Tetris
    Command & Conquer Red Alert
    Snood
    Pictureka
    Mirror's Edge
    Simcity DLX
    Scrabble
    Monopoly
    Risk
    World of Goo
    Dungeon Defender
    Monkey Island
    Monkey Island 2
    1112ep.01 HD
    1112ep.02 HD
    Drawn
    Broken Sword
    Broken Sword 2
    Lara Croft guardians of light
    Aralon HD
    The Stone of Destiny
    Chaos Rings
    Across Age HD
    Puzzle Agent
    Max's Adventures
    Infinity Blade
    Vampire Origins Reloaded
    Hero Project
    Age of Zombies
    Aqua Moto 2
    Bit.trip.beat
    Dino Cap
    Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior
    Labyrinth 2 HD
    PacMan
    Ozone HD
    Pinball HD
    Super Monkey Ball 2
    Splode
    Touch Grind HD
    The Hero HD
    Who wants to be a millionaire 2011
    Rocketeer HD
    Word Storm
    Babylonian Twins HD
    Plunderland
    Banzai
    MaxExplosion
    Canabalt
    Bugdom 2
    SugarRush HD
    The Incident
    CC Caveman
    Azkend HD
    Enigmo 2
    Aurora Faint 3
    Babo Crash
    Cogs HD
    Jumbeline 2
    Jigsaw
    Hexius
    Little Things
    UNO
    IMahjong
    iPacross
    WordGeek
    Aqua Panic DX
    Angry Birds
    Angry Birds Seasons
    Cut The Rope HD
    geared 2
    Slice It
    Trucks & Skulls
    Arriving HD
    Tiki Towers
    Edge
    Demolition M
    ZenBound 2
    By Xmas HD
    Plants Versus Zombies
    Worms HD
    conquist
    Stick Golf
    Flight Control HD
    RAGE
    Radiant HD
    Geometry Wars HD
    InfinityGene
    Meteor Blitz
    Osmos HD
    Space Station
    Spirit HD
    Chopper 2
    Roswell
    Death worm
    Nano Fighter
    Space Miner HD
    Revolt
    Isotope

6. macrumors 6502

I'm going from the 32GB model to the 64GB and comics is a big reason why. I use Comic Zeal and like to have a pretty good library of comics on the device. I'm currently using probably almost 10GB for comics, with the rest being apps and media. I want more space for both comics, PDFs (magazines), and movies/TV.

7. macrumors regular

This is a good thread. I'm going with the 16gb (more like 14GB) and am having a really hard time not upgrading to a 32GB.

I plan to have NO movies. NO music. 2-3GBS in photos. So that leaves me with around 11gb to play with.

I heard that magazines can take from anywhere to 500mb to 800gbs and combined with the new imovie + garageband + 2 cameras to record videos......the 16gb is looking a little iffy.

I do play to jailbreak and buy the camera connection kit to store videos on the SD card.......but you can't store apps on there. Infinity blade is already 800mb in size, and with the success of that game and the new power of the iPad 2......I can only see games using much more memory for high res textures in the future.

32GB is just too expensive though! $530 taxed vs 630 taxed.

8. macrumors 6502

Well if you look at it from the perspective of it being only $100 more to get double the storage, it doesn't seem as expensive. You can pretty much be assured you'll be wanting more space the more you use the device, and you'll be using it a lot.

Also I'm not sure how a magazine would be 500mb unless its interactive with a ton of embedded video. Most magazine PDF files I've seen are in the 40-60MB range.

9. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    123 games(I hope I'm not the only person who took the time to count... but now I can be the last :) )? A list is nice, but a number is just as good :)

so your avg game takes up 235.77MB. and If I get a 16gb (which I plan on) I can have 34 games to take up 8GB. That leaves a couple gigs for pics, couple gigs for music, and couple gigs for all other apps. The capacity is always more like 15gb than 16 so I need to build a slight buffer.

No that won't work, because I may need to put a movie or 2 on every once in a while. I'll need to buy less games.

Say I buy 20 games, that should be more than enough. That's 4.7gb. That's better

10. macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

MacRumorUser how much have you spent on apps?

11. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

If I remove a game from my iPad do I lose all the backup information or is there a way to remove games (to free up space) but always resync them later from iTunes with game progression saved?

12. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

The problem is the games are like pokemon, you have to collect them all ;) but seriously it's just too tempting to pick up a game when you see it reduced from $7.99 to $.99

Seriously a lot. Add more expensive app titles like things, omnigraffle, and it adds up to a lot of money. I tend to keep an eye on appshopper to see if there is a price reduction, but more often than not I find when I browse it I usually end up buying an App that I had no intention of doing so beforehand after reading about it.

I believe your saved games are gone when you remove it from your iPad.

13. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

haha. Oh I know what you mean. I already have about 10 paid iPad apps (mostly games). Oh yeah, and I don't have an iPad! :p haha. I have been watching appshopper for a few months (mostly black friday and christmas sales) and pouncing on the best ones, because I concinved myself a LONG time ago that I was going to buy the iPad 2. :p

Why oh why couldn't apple have dropped the 16gb model and lowered the 32gb to $500...