How much space does OSX+Vista take up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by superspiffy, Mar 30, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

First Question:
    If I want to install OSX and Windows Vista on my Mac, do I need to partition my drive in two? One for each OS?

I'm planning to get a MBP when they release Leopard (cuz I know BootCamp will come integrated) but I don't know if 120gb is enough for two operating systems. Right now I'm using a PC with Vista installed and all the Windows programs I'm ever going to use, and I'm approaching 30GB. I want to make sure that I can install Vista, and all those programs on a 120gb MBP along with OSX + iLife + the entire Final Cut Studio applications and of course, some room for future programs and so on. I'm gonna hook up some external hdds for my work and media files anyway, so you can ignore that. My only concern is the OS's and applications. So...

Second Question:
    Can these two OS's along with their applications, fit in the internal 120gb hdd of the MBP?

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

This is necessary, yes.

On my 250GB HDD, I'm using about 60GB for OS X + all my personal files (including 26GB of music). I have a 32GB partition for Vista and it has about 7GB available. The only big things I have installed in Vista are two games, Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander. :cool: Then just iTunes, Firefox, and a couple other tiny apps. I wouldn't want the partition to be any smaller for sure.

So depending on how many personal files you have, you could certainly fit both on a 120GB HDD with more than enough space.