how much space does Panther take?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by sjcaguy, Nov 24, 2003.

1. sjcaguy macrumors regular

how much space on the HD does panther take? i'm asking b/c i'm switching (hopefully today!) from a machine running XP Pro, which takes up (I think) approx. 2 gigabytes. This is based on the size of the HD when purchased (40 gigs) and after installing XP Pro noticed that there were only 37.5 or so usable gigs.

Not a major concern. Just curious. The folks at the apple store claim approx 200 MB or so.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

it depends on what you choose to install. If you install all the language packs, it can reach about 2GB. If you install just the system software, I think it's around or under 1GB.

3. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Re: how much space does Panther take?

200 MB or so sounds right for Mac OS 9 not Mac OS X. If you do a complete install with all the extras (i.e.: print drivers, language support, EVERYTHING), Panther will take up 3 GB. But as Counterfit said, you can get it around 1 GB if you take out all the stuff you don't need.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Woohoo! I was right! And I'll suggest that you install all the printer drivers if you have a laptop, just in case.