How much spam do you get a day?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by elisha cuthbert, Mar 24, 2006.

1. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

See the picture for how much i get but was just curious, how much do you get a day?

EDIT: Updated Picture

Attached Files:

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I get about 100 in my junk mail folder and about 10 in my inbox a day and thats with hotmails filter set to max level. Any idea how to get rid of it?

3. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

By getting rid of it you mean out of your inbox?, or preventing it

4. Lau Guest

Usually one, maybe two from bots that trawl my portfolio sites. None to my home address. I do use a spamalicious hotmail address for anything that might attract spam, and periodically clean that out. Even including that, I've never had more than 5 a day. I'm quite careful with who I give my email addresses out to though.

5. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Preventing it. I mean I barely sign up to anything. So its not like my email address is circulating the internet.

6. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

Try looking at all the emails and right down the bottom of most of them will be an unsubscribe link do that and they may stop

7. Lau Guest

I disagree - if it's a reputable company that you want to unsubscribe from their newsletter - feel free to use the "unsubscribe" link. For general spam leave well alone - I have heard that it validates your address as an address that is able to receive and respond to mail. Even if that isn't the case it's a waste of your time if it's from a spammer - they certainly won't honour your "unsubscribe" request.

8. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

Well thats just if its bad spam (which is most of mine) but yes i agree with you now because i just though that right at the start of me ggetting spammed i was getting 10 a day and then i clicked the unsubscribe link and well look where it got me, it just depends

9. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

My sweet Gmail. None. And I just cleared out the inbox. Awesome. :cool:
    Gmail has caught a few things that weren't spam.... but nbd. I just check to see what's there when something shows up.

Attached Files:

10. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

you lucky b*****d i cant believe you get none

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I've somehow managed not to get any, except for the very occasional ad for something. I don't have any special spam filters or anything either, so I guess I've just been lucky.

12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....almost 6pm and the first one today just hit my .mac inbox...oh yeah!

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I go through stages. I went for six months with just three SPAM messages (I felt so unloved). It's about 7:00PM and I've received fifteen today. :(

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't understand why they keep sending me these spam mails. How much larger can they make my penis? The last pump almost blew it up!

I don't get many either, and the ones that go into my uni mailbox have a square bracket with the word [spam] at the beginning of the subject. ;)

I also have a hotmail account used entirely for spammy sign-ups to random things. It's great. That account actually doesn't receive a lot of spam, but when spam tries to get in, hotmail's filters take care of it.

15. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Gmail filters all my spam out before it even gets into Mail. And if any makes it past that, Mail filters it out. :p

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Count me in as another with not much spam. I get spam to my main account in waves. None for months and then 10 a day. I blame some PC-owning acquaintance whose PC is a zombie for a while since I don't use it online particularly.

17. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

0 not 1 not 2 0 spams a day.

I might get 1 a week at most. I have 2 main emails, my gmail and my .mac, my .mac has 5 alias's so i use 7 emails and get 0 spam which is not a bad deal.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you think the fact we don't get much SPAM has something to do with the fact we use Macs? I mean, we don't have spyware. :cool:

19. zami macrumors regular

One way of decreasing spam is to use an email address from a fairly obscure country.

I used to use Italian email addresses which were good for avoiding spam but now less so. My advice: Moldova, so far I have had 1 (one) spam in six months.

20. iGav macrumors G3

1 or 2 at worst, and that's to my one and only email address. :D

21. bartelby macrumors Core

1 - 2 a week and that's with 2 email addresses.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's been a couple of years since I had any spam at all. No filters (that I know of) and just a .mac address. What am I doing right?

23. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

On my 7 mailboxes together I get something like 15-20 per day. But the vast majority comes in only one of the mailboxes.

I've always wondered whether mail.app's "bounce" feature would actually help the situation. For those that don't know about this, it creates a "email address unknown" email and returns this to the sender. Sadly with most spam email I get the impression that the return email address is non-existant.

Either way, spam is a pain in the butt.

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's a way of getting stuff to automatically send itself to the spam box, eg, if it's summat that you're signing up to looks dodgy but needs an email to go further. Iirc, the way to do it is to put +filter_name on the end, so, for example, yours would be elisha.cuthbert+spam@gmail.com

25. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

thanks heaps for that greatdevourer ill remember that before i sign up to one thing that ends up giving me 2000 spams a day