How Much Spam Mail do you get

Discussion in 'Community' started by watcher2001, Sep 26, 2005.

1. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

This does not neccesarily apply to gmail but I am using it as my example because it is really good at filtering out 99.95% of the spam automatically into a seperate folder. About 4 months ago I went to one of the free iPod/xbox/psp sites and entered in my info. After that I started getting quite a bit of spam mail from various sources. I would usually go in and delete it but then realized that Gmail deletes it after 30 days anyway. I decided to let it go and see how much carp I would get in a month.If you can't see the image for some reason that number is 4638...(Keep in mind that all this came from signing up on one website.) Any one else have similar stories?

Attached Files:

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

name and shame budddy, name and shame

people need to know not to sign up for that site. i dont get any spam (very rare)

3. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

Look NO spam. When was the last time Gmail deleted your spam? 4638 is a big number.

Attached Files:

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not too much, but then I don't spread my e-mail addresses too much around. I tend to get 30-100 each day on the c2i.net account I do use whenever I have to register my e-mail account. None on my GMail account, which I have started using instead of the (bogged down) c2i.net address... ;)

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

And I thought mine was bad enough :eek:

The gmail spam filter really is awesome :cool:

Attached Files:

• spam.JPG
      spam.JPG
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
  6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Out of all my e-mail addresses I would say it's a "rough" week when I get 3 spam mails.

7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Hmmmm ..... Therein lies a tale.....

When I was with my previousl ISP I used to get quite a bit, in waves, not necessarily every day. But since recently changing my provider and used my Gmail a lot more as well I've seen none whatsoever.

I find that using the + in my Gmail address when submitting also enabled me to source where the garbage ever came from.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not a lot after I switched to a .Mac account.

9. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

I agree! Aside from its powerful spam filter, using + in Gmail address is what makes Gmail stands out among the rest.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Um, what? :confused: What's this + in gmail address all about?

11. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

You can use (+) in your Gmail address and it will still send to your Gmail account. For instance, if I sign up on MacRumours, I will use firstname.surname+MR@gmail.com and it will send emails to my account. This is especially useful because you can then monitor where your spam is coming from. It also support (.) period in the address too.

12. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I get a few in my Gmail.
    About 15 in my ISP one
    12 in another
    and 90/day in another ISP one.

/j00 s4ck, SBCGlobal
    //has never signed up for "!!1!FREE i-POD!!~!1!" on the ISP accounts
    ///BLA!

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This is why I'm very selective in giving my e-mail address out - I don't want to be bombarded with all kinds of crap. I still receive a fair bit of spam, but maybe only 10-20 messages a week. My SP has a service whereby most spam is filtered out so I can't even see it, so I rarely get any in my Inbox.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I get quite a lot also. Just delete them, don't let it annoy me. Most of them are about drugs, hair loss, dating, mortgages, and free stuff.

15. watcher2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

That is actually what has accumulated in 30 days time.

16. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Between my Gmail (primary) and Hotmail (secondary) accounts I get maybe half a dozen spam messages a week. I never had a huge problem with spam. I only give my email address out to reputable sites and don't sign up for contests, deals, junk like that.

The little bit of spam I do get is caught by the filters so I almost never see spam in my Inbox. I can't imagine getting hundreds or thousands of spam messages - that would drive me insane.

17. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

18. njstaffer macrumors regular

None

Yahoo is awesome! I recieve no Spam!

If you don't pass your address you you won't get any spam. :D

19. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I do get some spam, but little of it pass the Spam filter (ie. actually end up in the Inbox). I've adjusted the filter so that stuff with a high SPAM rating gets deleted immmediately, while other stuff is moved to a Spam/Junk folder instead. Works fine.

I have my own domain, so if I'm leaving my address at some place that looks questionable, I often use the site name as the username (eg: macrumors@domain.net ;)). If I start getting spam, I usually know which site is to blame.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Great tip :cool:. I don't know how that has passed me by up to now, but I'll certainly start to use it.

21. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I practically haven't received any spam since I started using gmail. But offcourse I only go to the more sober parts of the net :cool: And I'm very careful where I put my email, when in doubt i give them my hotmail.

Good to know the (+)trick btw, never heard about it before.

A

22. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I went aboard for a semester and didn't have access to my email account. A "friend" thought it would be funny to put my email address down on one of those free credit card apps. When I got back to the States I had 2800 emails which filled my mail box and meant that I didn't get any email from family and friends who had sent over the previous 4 months, I was a little PO'd. My school has a Spam Blocker now that is pretty darn good.

P.S. does anyone know how i can recieve Junk Mail from people that have what appear to be real extensions. For instance I go to the University of Pittsburgh and my email is xxxxx@pitt.edu. Well i get tons of junk mail from people at xxxxx@pitt.edu. The names sometimes are obscene as well but they still have the extension @pitt.edu. There is no way my Uni allows people to have names like ExtraLargeXXXX@pitt.edu or whatever.

23. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

This was the first I'd heard of it too, but I just did a quickie test and it does seem to work as advertised: the e-mail still makes it to your regular Gmail Inbox, but the "sent to" address will be the mangled address including the "+whatever" suffix. Very neat trick!

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If I get 10 SPAM messages in a week I start to cry. It's unbearable.

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I get about 150 spam emails a day. The company that hosts my domain name doesn't use spam filtering so all the junk gets downloaded into Apple Mail. I am currently re-training Mail to make sure I only get 1 or 2 rogue spam messages that get through.