How much stuff does preinstalled take?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMatt mini, Aug 17, 2005.

1. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

How much hard drive space does everything preinstalled when you buy a new ibook take?
    I'm debating between ibook 40 GB and ibook 60 GB
    Would I most likely be able to get a stock ibook in store, except with a 60 GB hard drive or do I have to do that online?

2. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I'm not sure the exact amount it takes but I'm gonna guess 6Gb ish? I know that I running delocalizer cleared over 2Gb of unwanted language files. I recommend it.

Pretty sure any modifications to stock models are going to be BTO and are only available online.

3. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

So I should probably get 60 GB or should I just wait and get a nice external at Christmas? :D

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

To get the 60GB HD you have to BTO from online. I would definitely recommend you do that (I know I am!)... My PB's HD's true capacity drops from 60GB to 55ish simply upon the formatting of the drive. I'm not sure if that includes the OS or not, but man, those iLife apps sure can take up a lot of space!

Assuming you have education discount, it's only $45 to upgrade from 40GB to the 60GB HD, so I would definitely recommend that. I don't know anything about external HDs but I'm sure a lot of people would recommend you get one eventually just to back up all your stuff anyway.

5. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Well my 60gb HD had about 48gb remaining when I first looked at it.

::20ROGERSC::

6. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

7. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

iLife is ok for actually doing something. Those language files are what really pisses me off. Hell, I don't even know Mandarin.

Get the 60. Externals are nice, but a pain for regular data usage.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

True, but if you don't use Garageband at all (hee, like myself) than aside from the app itself, allllll those sound samples and whatnot take up around 2GB I think! :eek:
    Yes, not to mention, the external sort of takes away from the concept of portability/mobility! :p

9. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

It's only a small difference for waiting another week probably to ship it when I could go pick it up. :(

10. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

If you're itching to get it, don't do something stupid to get it into your hands faster. If you want more storage, wait for it. You'll regret it if you don't.

3 things:
    1. don't buy from Tiger Direct
    2. get a firewire drive
    3. get something larger than 80

Tiger Direct is shady. That's all I care to say. Newegg is awesome and not much more expensive (if any).

Firewire offloads the data manipulation to the onboard chip while usb uses the proc. Usually 1394 is faster during tests anyway. Oxford makes the best chipsets.

If you're getting a storage drive, spring for something that will hold you over for a while. I say 200Gb or so. You'll fill it before you know it.

11. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Touché. Yeah, I think I've used it 2 times maybe...

12. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

Would it be possible to burn all those sound clips to a DVD burner (I have a USB external one) and then delete them, but still have them on a disk?
    I assume I could do it with iDVD?

13. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, I wouldn't fill it. I fill up my Windows computers right now, and this one only has about 30/55 GB filled in a year and my other one has about 10/20 GB filled. I fill them up with crap and downloads too!

14. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Garage band is included on the DVD you get. The files are already on there. Just can them if you don't want them, but I'm sure that will break Garage band. Never tried to delete and iLife app.

No offense, but I would be fine with deleting iPhoto. I know everyone loves it, but I hate it. Anyone ever use picasa for Win? Oh man, that was a good program. Iphoto pales in comparison.

15. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

yeah, but someday you'll download your first torrent file and it will be over man. over.

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yeah, the iLife apps can be restored using the included restore DVDs that come w/ a new machine. However, you might have to re-install the entire OS unless you use something nifty like Pacifist. I deleted Garageband w/out a second thought because even if I ever got into using that, I'd use my 20" iMac G5 over a 12" laptop anyday! ;)

17. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Hmm, I'm tempted. Would clear some space off of here...

18. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

Preinstalled software package took almost 10 Gig on my 12" iBook.
    Right away, I did a "Clean Install" thinking it would give me an option to delete unnecesary files before the reinstallation, but it didn't :(
    Now since I don't use none of the iLife stuff except iTunes, can just drag them out of my Apps folder into the Trash?
    How do I get rid of the other language packs since I only know English?

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Just dumping the apps alone will not clear out tons of room on your Mac. You have to go into... er, ok I don't want to say the wrong thing, so I'm going to wait till I'm on my Mac. In the meantime, maybe somebody else can point you to the right folders to dump the supporting files for those apps.

As for the language cleaner thingie, a lot of people like Delocalizer (check versiontracker) and there is also the popular Monolingual that supports Tiger.

20. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

alright I'll just leave everything. Maybe I'll make my own band one day online. We'll just have no concerts since we, well, don't exist. :rolleyes:
    And back to reality...

I used to download torrents all the time, they never work for me anymore though, I just delete them when I'm done. It's usually movies that I don't think are worth renting. I pay for most of my stuff.

No really I do.

I swear!

21. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

hey, i hear ya.

most of my torrent action is linux isos and indie stuff like the sxsw compilation.

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Well if you decide to change your mind, Duff-Man tells us which files to trash in this thread. Post#5: