How much time do you spend in front of your mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by phonic pol, Jul 8, 2004.

1. phonic pol macrumors regular

I'm just curious because I seem to spend half my life in front of my powerbook! Is this normal or have I got a problem?!? Fact is that a good proprotion of my life is now digital and I really love it. I'm interested to know how much time other people spend in front of their apple displays and for what sorts of reasons?

Cheers,
    phonic pol

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I'm in front of my PB now that it's the summer for about 6-8 hours a day. Mostly playing Warcraft, surfing the web, and talking online. When school is in session i only spend about 3-4 hours a day.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

After I get home from school or camp I head for the computer. I say around 6-8 hours.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Everyone has something they enjoy, and if you enjoy the computer, the so be it. I spend more time on my xbox than i do on my mac. I probably spend about 3 hours a day on my mac during the summer, and about 4 hours on my xbox.

6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I electricity used in one day in front of a Mac is enough to power a small 3rd world country for a month. OMFG, versus only 3 weeks I spend in front a PC.

7. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Way, way too long, but at least it justifies me spending way too mcuh money on it heheh. I just find that so much of the thing sin my life are done from here its a bit crazy, needless to add I am a student :rolleyes:

8. colinp macrumors member

I picked up a 12" Powerbook early last month (my first mac!) and have been on it fairly constantly ever since. Realistically speaking, that isn't much of a surprise since before that I was usually on my Dell tower.

This is also my first laptop, and a combination of that and OS X has definitely changed the way I use my computer. While I tend to spend alot of time on my computer, I also have requisite chores as well as personal reading (offline, in book form) that I spend my days emerged in. As such, I tend to leave my Pbook in sleep mode on my kitchen table during the day, hopping on every once in awhile to check my mail and some news sites (macrumors, of course, as well as a few other mac-centric sites, my fav. being MyAppleMenu.com for its wide wide daily coverage). The instant on of sleep mode (which I never found very realiable on my tower with XP, but maybe that was a silly fear of mine from an early early bad experience) KICKS ASS! So ten minutes here, twenty minutes there, reading or doing something else around the house in between.

Once afternoon turns to evening I frequently hop on for a quick game of Diablo II or some such, and then (after dinner) spend a good portion of the night catching up on websites in earnest. I hate to venture a guess as to how much I spend on a computer each day, but I think it's safe to say at least 7-8 hours.

I think I made this post too long already :p :D

9. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

'bout 8 hours.

most of the time is after dark though... ;)

10. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm usually on 6 - 9 hours on an average day. It is pure pleasure in front of a Mac.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

most days probably around 6 up to 10 on the really boring days

my average daily average would probably be 6.5 - 7

13. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Not enough lately...

Sadly, I haven't spent any time with my beloved b&w G3 in over 3 weeks because it crashed and I gave it to a friend to resucitate and haven't seen it since...hm, suspicious... :rolleyes: He was supposed to have it back to me a week ago. And my new iBook hasn't come yet...so I am languishing in this abyss they call Windows...

But before all this happened I would spend a good 6-7 hours a day with my mac.

14. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

15. operastarlet macrumors member

probably about 6-10 hours a day. I use my ibook all day at work and a couple of hours again at home.

16. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Wow, the sanest figure yet!

I spend a good 6-8 hours on it.

1) I'm not sane.
    and
    2) There is nothing on TV at all! Not that there is much on during the other seasons. :p

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Way too much :D

I practically spend all of my waking hours during the summer on the computer. During school, it's a bit more sane, but I still spend around 4 hours on the computer each day.

It's funny actually, I find a loss of things to do on the computer often, and end up refreshing and posting to my two forum haunts. On Windows there's always something to do - gotta fix this, gotta maintain that, gotta recover from latest crash, gotta reinstall... Quite an interesting world over there. :D

18. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Are you kidding? There must be something wrong with them!

No, I'm just kidding. I'm acutally rather envious; I spend about 8 hours a day in front of my Macs, but before I got this job, it was like 12+. I've got my TiBook in front of me now, my G4 tower waiting at home, then in the bedroom is my blueberry iBook that I surf on before bed. I've also got a Newton MP 2100 or iPaq that I take with me (selling my Tungsten C, never use it.) My iBook is on its way to Apple for a new logic board, once I get it back, I'm replacing the TiBook with it as my work horse.

I used to spend a lot of time in front of my PCs too, but with windows it was always fixing something, and with Linux it was 50% compiling and 50% surfing freshmeat.net :)

19. Tremaine macrumors member

About 6 hours at work and another 2-4 hours at home.

20. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

well if i have a project more than 8 hrs.

if i don't, probably more than 6 and less than 8.

21. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Sometimes up to 10. Other times, I will go a whole day without turning on my Mac (gasp!...but I have to force myself). In order of time spent on my Mac (most to least), I am usually working, reading news, playing games, listening to music, shopping, or watching movies.

22. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

For starters, i've never turned my iBook off.

Second, the iBook is the only electrical appliance in my bedroom (student here), I use it for all my needs, radio, music, video. However I do do allot of coursework so its pretty much an extension of myself during my days off from work. This can be for 7 hours a day when working and nearly 12 when not.

Then again, I do have so much work to do... thats why i'm here :p.

23. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i think the question should be how long do we spend in the real world away from our macs..... i sure wish i had a life...other than studying (mcp :rolleyes: )...yeah im on my mac or eating...oh and very rarely sleepin..

24. phonic pol thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm out to dinner tonight and I've got to take the dog for a run first; trouble is I can't get off my pb! It's like a brain magnet, its gonna be a late one! :D