How much to partition???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sweener88, May 2, 2006.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

I want to use windows for microsoft word documents and gaming ONLY, how much space should i partition my hard drive in? i have a 100 gb

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Depends on the games. Some games can take up several gigs. If you have 100GB, I'd say 40GB is plenty safe.

3. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

For my iMac's 250GB drive I dedicated 40GB to Windows. Big Mistake. With all my games on there I am full. I should have put more...

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

It really depends on the # of games, the types of games, etc. No one can give a true answer unless you give us more info. The best thing to do is just dedicate like 10-15GB for the OS, and use an external drive for everything else.

5. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I have a question about partitioning. If i resize the partition in Boot Camp, do I have to reinstall windows, files, and reformat? Thanks.

-yankeefan

6. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

i thought i read on another thread that fat32 vs nfts is a big decision as it determines the max size of the partition but will/wont allow easy file transfer.

7. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Keep in mind that Windows needs 15% of a partition to be kept free in order to keep the partition defragmented (NTFS file system). So, I'd say 20GB is a good number, without games.

8. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

yes very true...if im right about this, it takes about 5-10 gigs just for the operating system

9. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Somewhere around there. My Windows partition only has Windows, Office, and about 500MB of small programs (AV, Firefox, DVD stuff, and etc.), for a total of about 6GB.

Of course, it would be closer to 7GB or 8GB if I didn't run Crap Cleaner regularly.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

10. DeadPrez macrumors newbie

Can you enlarge/repartition the Boot Camp/Windows partition without reinstalling later?

11. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Nope, once you set the size of the Windows partition, it is a done deal.

There are some tools for Windows machines that can resize partitions, but I do not think that they work with OS X partitions.