how much to replace glass screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejrizo, Oct 22, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

ejrizo

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get my screen replaced on my iphone?

i fell on it this weekend and it shattered... im having horrible luck with my iphone first i lost it last weekend and got a new one on monday and now i get the screen shattered...

if i get it fixed do they just exchange it for a new one or do i have to wait til its fixed to have a phone?

hopefully it isnt too expensive... anyone with any experience in this?

thank you.

p.s. the phone still works... even with a shattered screen everything works... but it looks and feels horrible...

2. macrumors 6502

sorry to hear that.
    any pictures by chance to see how bad it is ?:eek:

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

ill try to get a picture of it when i get home... its pretty bad... but seems to just be cosmetic...

4. macrumors regular

"Does anyone know how much it would cost to get my screen replaced on my iphone?"

I think its $249 to get the screen replaced.

"i fell on it this weekend and it shattered... im having horrible luck with my iphone first i lost it last weekend "

Been drinking a little on the weekends?
    :D

5. macrumors 68000

Arisian

wow, im so rough on my phones... but man, that takes the cake... did you fall on concrete? I cant really image a scenario outside of that which would cause these effects

Arisian

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

yeah i was at a halloween party and had on a duff man costume and was wearing Big Boots

[​IMG]

something like those (very not cool to be walking on) and i hit a pot hole (uneven concrete) and took a fall on my right side where my phone was at... this concrete was very rocky and broken apart...

7. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

$399, the cost of a new iPhone.
    (might as well replace it and frame the old one):)

8. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    As someone else said, it's $250 (for the 8GB, less for 4GB) and they send it off (probably to be scavenged for circuit boards), and then send back most likely a refurb phone.

The $250 applies to anything from "fixing" a broken button, to a burned up unit.

Basically, Apple is charging you the cost of the phone plus a little more. You're simply buying a replacement at below wholesale.

If you're really handy, places on the web sell the LCD/touch/glass combo for a little less.

If you're really cheap, places on the web explain replacing the glass with some plexiglass for about $5, assuming you're handy with a Dremel.

9. macrumors 6502

If you are handy, you can get a screen here for $119.99 There is also a video on how to open it on the bottom of that link.

Sorry to hear about the broken screen, good luck with the replacement.

Yarold

10. macrumors regular

Dont you have insurance?
    It should come under accidental damage.
    Did you purchase with a credit card, then you might be able to claim on the CC insurance?
    Good luck

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

purchased with a Debit/Mastercard from my credit union... no insurance... hopefully the apple genius has sympathy for me and my one week old phone :apple: