How much Trouble?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Texas04, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Well, im not very new to Video editing... been doining for a few years. However I am in a broadcast communication class/club at my High School. We have Windows machines running Adobe Premire Pro. We have four for our news storys that we can use individually. But to put an entire newscast together we use our "big premire" which is a Windows 2k computer with Adobe Premier (one of the slightly older versions) and most all of our computers bug out and one time or another. Our "big premire" that we call because it has a 500GB HD, has pretty good stats but it is not common to see people getting P'oed at it because it wont capture right or if it does it wont get sound, or video, :mad:. Annoys me TO DEATH. Im looking at saving up in the program to get us a new iMac, upgraded to a Gig to 2 gigs of ram, with a larger hard drive and with Final Cut Pro HD, wich is somewhat simmlar to Premire. My question, how much trouble do you have with "big editors"?
    To recap: Our HS has a buggy Windows 2K computer with Adobe thats a pain, we make Newscats of about 40minutes in length.
    How much trouble do you get editing with your Final Cut on high powered macs?

2. silverback66 macrumors regular

Too much trouble!

Oh wait, this isn't the Casablanca casting call? Oops...

Seriously though, I've been using FCP since the very first version came out and I've had only a handful of problems in all those years and most of the problems I did have were related to a bad hard drive and had nothign to do with the program itself. I've used Avid, but in my mind it doesn't even compare with FCP. As a filmmaker I would never use a different program for my editing.

3. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

So does that mean that FCP on a new mac is or is not buggy?

(We have casablanca Avios at school as well, they are actually the most reliable... lol, thats not saying much :confused: :rolleyes: )

4. steveedge macrumors member

thoughts

I've run Final Cut on my mini 1.4 g. without any problem and I only have 512 megs ram. So you don't necessarily need a "high end" Mac. However, you always want as much RAM and processor speed as possible with video, s of course the new I mac would be the bomb. ;)
    My only point is that Final Cut should jam on a new IMAC since it's not only a faster processor than my mini but the hard drive is faster as well...Just my 2 cents worth.

5. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Good to hear :)

6. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Now the only problem is you will only have one workstation with fcp. It's kind of a waste being that the other 3 spots will be for premiere editors. Trying upgrading the video card on the big premiere

7. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

We never cross platforms with the computers, we export them all as movies and then move them to the big editor that we put together the newscast with, the old premier would go to the mac haters ;). Ill be lauhging as it crashes every day :). It already crashed twice on me today :(