Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paperstreet

macrumors member
Original poster
Hey there. I haven't done much posting here, but sure have done a LOT of lurking. I am a proud owner of a mirrored door drive dual 1GHZ PMG4 (With a Combo and a Super), and a 17" LCD. I got this setup last Christmas. I didn't have to pay a dime, so I can't complain. Well, I've also got an ancient Gateway laptop from about 5 years ago that I got as a grad. present from H.S. and at the time it cost a whopping $5K!!!! I have since sworn off PC's. (Before my current desktop, I had an iMac DV SE+.) I'm a Mac lover all the way.

Anyhow, the laptop bug has bitten me. More specifically, the powerbook bug. I've caved to the crave. I ordered a 12" Powerbook and 10gig iPod- so I can take advantage of the 200 buck rebate. Good deal, I think. (As long as it won't be a huge problem with me not taking delivery of the system until after 9/27. I heard it won't be a problem, but we'll see.)

My config:

12" Powerbook- 1Ghz / Combo
256 Ram installed (512 ordered from Smalldog)
60 Gig HD
Airport Extreme Installed
AppleCare plan
10 Gig iPod (and some holder, I don't remember brand)
New iTrip
Also got a sleeve from Apple for the PB- its one of the neoprene ones with handle.

Sooo- my question to all the 12" PB owners out there:

DO YOU LOVE IT???? (I have no qualms about screen size as I already have a primary system at home. I just want portability. I'll be doing a little bit of photoshop, final cut express, writing, and wi-fi'ing)

I hope you do, cuz it's still a chunk of change I just spent. I just wish I knew if I'll get this thing before they release the G5 PB's 'sometime before the end of next year'. Hehehehe....

Anyone else order the new 12" yet? I'm just excited as all hell. I didn't order the AE base station- I'm hoping I can use a Linksys or Netgear. Anyone know if I'll have problems with that? Like I said, my main system is a Mac. I've got cable modem from comcast, so hopefully setting up wi-fi in my apartment should be a snap.

ANY usefull info, tips, advice, rants, raves, psychotic shout-outs, or anything else you'd care to contribute to my travelling sideshow of euphoria- I'd appreciate it.

Sorry this was a bit long. I should've been posting more here more often. Guess I can start now.

(Don't worry- I've sprayed 'G5 bug repellant' on me so I don't get bitten by that bug too. The recipe for this special 'concoction' of mine is looking at your credit card statement. And repeat. This technique should stop ANY thoughts of G5 gratification. It worked for me. Hehehhe...)

Thanks everyone.

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
I have the suddenly "old" 12 inch PB and I love it big time.

Only after working with it for 4 or 5 hours straight do I start wishing for a larger screen.

I have used it to make movies with iMovie and iDVD, make Keynote presentations with a digital projector, jam on iTunes, work with MS Word, play Age of Empires, and surf the web, and I'm satisfied with it in every regard.

I'm sure your "new" model will satisfy you.

Congrats on your purchase.

alxths

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2003
I just ordered a 12"pb today... I just got the base model, with an AE card.. I'll worry about installing more RAM later on. I also got a 20 gb ipod and a canon i450 printer.. I really expected to be a lot more excited then this.. meh, I guess that's me in a nutshell.

When's yours shipping? I've got on or before oct. 1st... doesn't seem like 5-7 business days to ME but what do I know.

I got that printer because they seemed to imply that you needed to buy all three of the above to qualify for the "buy a bundle" rebate. I just figured if I found otherwise, I could return/cancel the printer... Does anyone here know enough about the deal to clarify that for me? Keep in mind that its the apple canada store that I bought it from so the deal may differ slightly from any similar promos in the US.

Thanks.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
in the US you do not need to buy all three to qualify for the deal. Just the laptop and the ipod will get you $200 off, and just the laptop and the printer will get you $100 off (though in the latter case it may technically be the "you save. they rave." promotion, but same thing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.