How much will Leopard cost current Mac users?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by umdjb, Jun 6, 2006.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

How much will Apple charge to upgrade from Tiger or beloew to Leopard for people who currently own a Mac? If their pricing decisions in the past are any indication (i.e. offering no upgrade price for iLife 06) then I am sure it is going to be another hefty sum that few (myself) can afford.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

$129.00 every now and then is not too bad, considering what you get with each release...

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Probablay about $115or $129 depending on chosen preferred outlet.

ie .. no discounts for upgrades.

4. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

Any idea about anything new Apple will release with Leopard?

5. KREX725 macrumors regular

I can't remember exactly, but it seems like the education pricing brought it down to somewhere less than $80 US when I bought Tiger.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I think that Apple may drop below the psychological price point of $100:

$99 consumers (from $129)
    $69 education (current price)

Who knows...I'm good at being wrong. :p

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. BlueT macrumors member

I've paid anywhere from $15 to getting it free from school. Panther to Tiger for $129? Not worth it. Panther to Leopard? I have my doubts. And BTW, it's a bunch of crap to say that $129 every year and a half for a new OS is worth it. How about giving us more substantial updates with that price? Panther to Tiger was Dashboard, Spotlight, and Mail for average users. That's it. And with Leopard, I think it'll be much more useful for Intel Macs than PPC Macs, which leaves the majority of the user base in the dust.

9. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Looprumors compressed the speculation into four pages, so you might want to try there.

I still think (education discounts aside) that Apple will maintain the premium price for the premium product it is offering.

10. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I would assume that Leopard's prices will be the same as the current Tiger prices, yes?

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No reason that it shouldn't be.

12. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

You are.

13. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

Anyone have any thoughts on the hardware cost to make our computers "leopard compatible"?

I would imagine that it requires at least a Gig of RAM... 1.25GHz or faster G4...

14. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

It's coming out within the next year hopefully, right? If so, I can probably snag it for $25 from my school. If not... full price for me!

Stupid graduation. Maybe I can fail a class and graduate later in hopes of saving money on Leopard...

15. codo macrumors 6502

ha! You're right, that’s totally worth it...

16. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I don't know.....I don't think they're ready to bump up their current hardware specs to that level just yet.

I'm still waiting to see what exactly will be offered as part of Leopard. Dual boot or virtualization for Windows really doesn't interest me. Nor do the resolution related updates (at least with my current hardware). So far I haven't seen a reason for me to upgrade yet.

But anyway, I'd guess it will be $129 or so. Possibly bump it up to $149 if they have something big to offer with this.

17. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I'll compress it further for you, Looprumors don't know squat.

18. vidbuff macrumors newbie

$129 IS the Upgrade price. Apple doesn't sell a full version of OSX separately since it already comes bundled with your Mac hardware. Typically each upgrade costs $129 and it's up to you to decide if it's worth the price.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I would say 512 since it just made the jump from 256 to 512 with tiger. Plus alot of computers do not have 512 believe it or not

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I don't get it...

I don't understand why so many people think $129 is a TON of money. I'm a student and make very little money, but I somehow was able to afford a Mac. If we all SOMEHOW can afford a few grand, what's another $129 every year or two?

21. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Especially considering it's not a mandatory upgrade or anything. I still run Panther on some systems, and it's fine, I saw no need to shell out more money to upgrade them. Lots of people will be happy with Tiger, and stick with it instead of upgrading. I myself don't plan to upgrade until I get a new Mac, which won't be for over a year from now, so I'm not too worried.

22. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

What you mean is...In your humble opinion! :p

You don't have to buy it though - for me, the upgrade was worth it. Totally. Spotlight is worth its weight in gold. Many on this forum would agree I'm guessing.

23. agnei.w macrumors newbie

after October 1, 2007 can upgrade to Leopard. :)

Customers who purchase a qualifying new Macintosh computer or an Apple Certified Refurbished computer from the Apple Online Store on or after October 1, 2007 that does not have Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard included can upgrade to Leopard.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

Exactly. If Tiger or Panther is working just fine on your system, then there is no need to upgrade.

I upgrade because I want to, not because I have to.

Now, if this was a service pack that fixed some major issues, I'd be pissed to have to shell out my hard-earned cash, but it's not.

25. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

For some yes. My university bookstore only dropped it to $99 (boo).