How Much Will the PowerMac Depreciate after...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lanray, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. lanray macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    #1
    the new Mac Pros come out? I'm hoping to pick up a dual proc PM after the Mac Pros come out, and I'd like to know approx how much I'll save by waiting. For example, you can pick up a dual 2.0 GHz for about $1500 these days. Anyone have an idea how much one would be after? Thanks ahead of time.
     
  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

    Eniregnat

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2003
    Location:
    In your head.
    #2
    The iBooks took a good hit when the Mac Books came out. I'd expect that you should sell while you can, if you can.
     
  3. weg macrumors 6502a

    weg

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    nj
    #3
    If I got him right he wants to BUY a PM rather than sell one..
     
  4. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    #4
    Looking to Buy

    Yep, I'm hoping to get one in the near future. Do you all think that hoping for a ~30% discount is too much? That would put the aforementioned dual proc 2.0 at about a grand. Thanks, again.
     
  5. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

    Eniregnat

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2003
    Location:
    In your head.
    #5
    Sorry, I have no trouble admitting that I have trouble reading. I some how read, that he wanted to upgrade and then sell.

    No, I think that it could be greater than that. Also, refurbs a few weeks after a new release. If you cruse here or auction sites, I bet you would be able to find one for a fair price.
     
  6. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    #6
    Just How Much?

    That's the big question. Does anyone have an educated guess?
     
  7. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

    Eniregnat

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2003
    Location:
    In your head.
    #7
    Pardon, so lets do the math.

    1499 to 999 refurb 14" ibook 2 months after release of MB = > 33% drop in cost.

    According to the Mac Buyers Guide Section it has been greater than 264 days since the last revision. The average is under 200 days. Only the X-Serve has had a longer wait, at 300 days, and both are Pro machines. There are a lot of people that have been waiting for the switch. Many pro apps have gone universal binary, so there is a market filled with people who, if it is financially viable, will drop their PowerMacs for the LAG Intel machines.

    An educated guess would be, from Apple.com a 17-30% drop with in the first 2 months, and from auction sites, something greater than that (over 45%)if your wise. I'd expect that to be larger if Adobe goes Universal before then. You could hone the guessing better if you do some back checking using the MBP introduction, and more refined dating.

    One thing to think about is that the jump in performance between the iBooks and the MacBooks and the PowerBooks and the MB Pros was greater due to the fact it was 2 generations different, G4-Intel. Where the PMG5 - MacPro Intel may not see as much of a performance jump at first. This will make the enticement much less.
     
  8. Miguey macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    So Cal 909
    #8
    ^the ibooks werent, 1499, if i recall they were 1199 maybe 1299...1499 was the Powerbook..
     
  9. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    #9
    Thanks

    Thanks, eniregnat. Goodness knows the dual procs could handle what I'll throw at them (light recording work), and I'll be stoked to pick one up in the $1000 range, if that's not too optimistic.
     

Share This Page