How much would a used 15-inch Macbook Pro cost me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Disney Pixar, Nov 15, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 15, 2012
    Santa Monica, California
    My Gateway NV79 has been giving me a lot of issues lately. I love the laptop, but it's been shutting down on me frequently, causing me to lose lots of work that I haven't been able to save, shutting down my tabs on internet browsers that, for whatever reason, I haven't been able to restore upon starting my computer back up and it's been overheating a lot (despite the fact that I keep a majority of my files, pictures, music, movies, etc. on an external hard drive).

With this being said, I plan on returning my Gateway laptop (which I have a 2 year warranty on) and using the refunded money towards a used 15-inch Macbook Pro (second generation unibody). I don't really have the cash to be spending on a new retina display Macbook Pro. I have several questions, though.

- How much on average would a good-condition used Macbook Pro 15 inch cost me?

- What are some reliable websites that I can shop for used Macbook pros?

- Do Macbook Pros give you any issues (viruses, slow speed, choppy internet, overheating)?

- Are most programs Apple, Inc. friendly? Meaning will I have a hard time finding programs that cater not only to Windows, but Apple as well?

Thanks in advanced
  2. macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2012
    I would say....

the non Retina Mac Book Pros from Late 2011 would go from $1350 (i7, 2.2 Ghz)to $ 2000 (i7, 2.5 GHz) maybe, stock configuration in RAM, storage and video card. Can go up or down because ongoing warranties/cosmetic or functional issues/use or care of the machine.

About sites, maybe the Refurbished section in the Apple Store can have something in there for you. I had used ebay, lowendmac and Craiglist (very seldom), and in my experience, ebay delivers best deals. Also consider to pay a visit to your nearest retail Apple store o Authorized dealer or their webpages, because they can have outdated stock they want to get rid off and you can strike a deal there ( I am aware of your question, forgive me!)

Not sure to understand the another question about software, tough:(

3. macrumors 68040

Nov 3, 2011

Purchased the Late 2011 15inch MBP Hi Res - Anti-glare screen 2.4ghz (high end) retailed for $2300 - I paid 1325 off eBay for it. Perfect condition - 7 months of original warranty remaining.
  4. r0k
    macrumors 68040

Mar 3, 2008
    Not bad. I got the same thing for $1600 new in box at Microcenter. Meanwhile Apple was selling the refurb for $1800 so I knew I got a deal. But 1325 is an even better deal. I suggest getting the AC if it's not already too late. AC is a good value for "portable" machines. Phones and desktops not so much.
  5. macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
  6. macrumors 68040

Nov 3, 2011
    Yeah - I have until Jan 7th - getting from B&H Video
  7. macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2012