How much would it be to upgrade to the Razr?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnbro23, Aug 23, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I've got a Cingular Wireless phone (Sony Ericsonn t616) that has taken a serious beating, and I'm looking to upgrade to the Razr. Does anyone know how much it is to upgrade? There's no Cingular stores around here, so I can't ask at a store. I heard somewhere it was only $99? If thats true, then I'm definitely buying one.

2. gallivant macrumors member

$199 everywhere I've seen, dunno if that requires a 2-year contract or not.

3. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

If you are eligible for an upgrade, you will get the Razr at the current sale price which is either $149 or $199, but you will have to renew your contract for a year or two, I think two. If you are not eligible for an upgrade, you will have to pay full price for the phone, which I believe is $349. How long have you had your current phone?

4. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, maybe I was just dreaming but I thought I heard you could get the Razr for $99. I don't think any other phone is worth upgrading for, given that my phone still works, even though its seen better days.

5. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

The RazR could very well be $99 somewhere, but in order for you to get it for the advertised/sale price thru Cingular, you have to be eligible for an upgrade. It sux.

6. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

You have to be 21 months into a 2 year contract to be eligible to upgrade and get the discounted price @ $199

If you are on a 1 year contract you have to be 9 months in to be eligible for an upgrade...

1 year renewal is $249
    2 year renewal is $199

PM me your cell phone # and I will check if you can upgrade tomorrow when I get to the office...

-Chad (Cingular Retail Store Manager)

**If you are a former AT&T Wireless customer you are automatically eligible for an upgrade, although you will have to change your rate plan**

7. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Razr is sometimes $99 at Best Buy, but thats ONLY FOR NEW SERVICE, no upgrades. Then if you sign up there you have to deal with Best Buy as your dealer, and thats a nightmare. You cannot come to Cingular for help if you have problems with your phone =\

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i would like to upgrade to the razr also. let us know if you do it and how it goes

9. BlueT macrumors member

Here's a bunch of new Motorolas that are set to replace the V3. If I were you guys, and I had 200 bucks to throw around for a new phone, I would wait 2-3 more months for the next generation. The V3 is a year old now; in cell phone terms, it's ancient history. And to pay 200 bucks for an old phone is just silly.

10. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I was just in the same predicament yesterday. If you arn't starting a new contract you are going to be paying $299 + tax...and trust me...its not really worth it...the platform of the phone is the same as all the motorolla phones and the camera isn't any better...it feels chep in your hand, and it is over priced because of its size...i would advise against it

11. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

If you have to pay full price yes, it may not be worth it, but $199 isn't that bad. And the Razr is a great phone...quad band GSM, great battery, nice screen, bluetooth, speaker, etc...and it doesn't feel cheap at all to me.

Also, the price is incredibly cheap when you look back just 1yr ago and people where shelling out $369 for the Motorola V600 like it was nothing. That was with a 2yr contract.

And from my experience and time in this industry it is highly unlikely we will see the new line of Motorolas until after the new year. No phone manufacturer can seem to deliver its product on time, and I mean NOT ONE of them.

12. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

You can get like-new UNLOCKED quad-band Motorola phones for a little over $100 on eBay. V500, V505, V525, V600, V551, etc. The Razr is a phone for young males with severe penis size issues.

13. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

But it's so thin and the music they play during the commercials is so cool and they show it from the side like slow-falling and it's like so cool n stuff.

14. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

15. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Sometimes I love living in the UK.

Mobile phone networks are way ahead over here. The V3 noir cost my dad $0 yesterday. Phones usually cost NOTHING on contracts... and contracts are only for 12 months.

For measure.. how much do you pay monthly for your contracts?

16. dcv macrumors G3

I agree! It's usually just the brand new smart phones that cost a fair bit, e.g. on Orange at the moment the smart phones are £79.99 to £199.99. 3G phones are typically around £50ish and most of the other handsets are free, apart from when they first come out they are around the £50 mark. That Razr thing has been free for ages.

Wow does this mean we actually do get *something* cheaper in the UK than in the US? :eek: