Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay for a TiBook SE 1Ghz?

• $3,750 - $4,000

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • $4,000 - $4,250

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • $4,250 - $4,500

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • $4,500 + (are you nuts!)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Ok, following on from this thread about the possibility of a SE of the TiBook, a 1Ghz, I was wondering how much you would be willing to pay for one.
I'm going to have the poll in US$ as most here seem to be from the states.
Keep in mind the current 'Ultimate' model goes for $3,799, and for that you get the 800Mhz G4 fully loaded.
I am presuming that if they did make a TiBook SE then it would have the same spec as the 800Mhz Ultimate, only with a 1000Mhz G4 :D So base your votes on the following spec:

1Ghz PowerPC G4
1MB L3 & 256K L2 cache
133MHz system bus
1GB SDRAM memory
60GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
w/32MB DDR video memory
Gigabit Ethernet
56K internal modem
1 FireWire & 2 USB Ports
AirPort Card Included

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Damn, i voted for the wrong option. If you follow the scale at the moment, the bottom of the range is $2499, the middle is 3199, and the top model is 3799. The next step would be $4299. I'd consider that a reasonable price for a SE model.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Hmmmm..... if they released it tomorrow...... but dropped the SE tag...... I'd drop £4k for it......... that said when they do released the 1Ghz TiBook then I hope it'll have better graphics....... faster bus, bigger HD,than what is ln the list.....

I came very close the other day to doing an Alpha and trading my Rev a 500 and upgrading it to a 800Mhz...... but in the end I couldn't justify it...... and the money I'd lose when I upgrade to the 1Ghz model when it is released was just too nasty to think about...... so I'll still be waiting for MWSF 03 for possible new models......:D

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
shaking and looking over my shoulder

This thread makes me nervous.

There isnt going to be a new Ti for quite a while.
What I will pay for it is the same price hopefully less than I paid for my new 800.

These prices are incredible expensive and I cant think about this withinthe context of the rest of the world and the going prices of computer laptops!

Or within the context of market share!

Prices need to go down! and hardware specs up! like the rest of the computer world manages to do.

I think I will stick with the 800 till a real breakthrough comes up for the newer Ti's until then I think that I will but a freakin CAR!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I paid a total of about $3600 for mine last year...and that was top of the line...

I can't honestly see spending $4000 on new one in the future...:rolleyes:

I'm hoping they stick to their current pricing schemes...

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I'm hoping they stick to their current pricing schemes...

I hope so too. However, if a 1GHz model was offered as an SE (as per the original post), then it would probably be over and above the current pricing structure.

I doubt it would happen, but for the sake of argument.....

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by britboy

I doubt it would happen, but for the sake of argument.....
hehehe, exactly, I doubt it too.
But after the thread that I referenced in my initial post, I just wondered what kinda cash people would be willing to part with for a 1Ghz PowerHouse! ...I mean PowerBook :p

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I am shocked to even see Apple sell their 800MHz model for $3800. I know it has improved over the previous models with the most common issues (screen resolution and brightness, CPU heat, etc.), and I know that the Powerbook is of incredible quality (no surprise there), but I think that even $3800 is pushing it. I don't mean to sound like a cheap hobo, which I am not, but I would not want to spend any more than $3499.99 on an Apple computer. If Apple comes out with a 1GHz portable within a half a year's time, with a 60GB Hard Drive, improved graphics, and a few extras, I will not want to pay such high prices.

What would peecee consumers think? Right. They will think that to purchase the best portable there is I have to spend almost $4000. For that money I could buy a used Audi.

I think that if it is possible, Apple needs to lower their prices and, unlike David Spade and Chris Farley, keep their standards. :)

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by iGAV
Hmmmm..... if they released it tomorrow...... but dropped the SE tag...... I'd drop £4k for it......... that said when they do released the 1Ghz TiBook then I hope it'll have better graphics....... faster bus, bigger HD,than what is ln the list.....

I came very close the other day to doing an Alpha and trading my Rev a 500 and upgrading it to a 800Mhz...... but in the end I couldn't justify it...... and the money I'd lose when I upgrade to the 1Ghz model when it is released was just too nasty to think about...... so I'll still be waiting for MWSF 03 for possible new models......:D

Have you thought about flying to America in February, buying your new machine, and having a week of holiday paid for for £4,000?

Should be easy as long as McRaind doesn't alert HMS Customs...

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
this is kinda hard since i'm in Aus and i don't have a real good understanding of the conversion rates. i'd pay AU$8000 for a 1GHz TiBook, if i had the money. i reckon it'd be well worth it!:D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: shaking and looking over my shoulder

Originally posted by Grokgod
This thread makes me nervous.

There isnt going to be a new Ti for quite a while.
What I will pay for it is the same price hopefully less than I paid for my new 800.

These prices are incredible expensive and I cant think about this withinthe context of the rest of the world and the going prices of computer laptops!

Or within the context of market share!

Prices need to go down! and hardware specs up! like the rest of the computer world manages to do.

I think I will stick with the 800 till a real breakthrough comes up for the newer Ti's until then I think that I will but a freakin CAR!

well said

and really, how will a 1 ghz tibook seem that much better than an 800 mhz model?

i have a 300 mhz ibook that is nearly three years old, and an 800 mhz tibook seems plenty fast for me if i were to get one...which i would not have any way to justify being a web surfer, emailer, word processor, and light graphics person

a 1 ghz tibook now would surpass 4 grand and these days, that's too much for any laptop

five years ago, four grand was an average price for most laptops and desktops were bargains if found under two grand...how times have changed

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: shaking and looking over my shoulder

Originally posted by jefhatfield

and really, how will a 1 ghz tibook seem that much better than an 800 mhz model?
It is a 25% (200Mhz on top of 800Mhz before u start questioning my math) speed increase! I'd say that's pretty significant. :D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: Re: shaking and looking over my shoulder

Originally posted by verbose101

It is a 25% (200Mhz on top of 800Mhz before u start questioning my math) speed increase! I'd say that's pretty significant. :D

for the basic computing i do, it would still not be noticed...i don't type that fast anyway

if i was a graphics or music type, then it would make a difference for sure;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I wouldn't be able to afford a TiBook for another couple of months anyway, by then I figure I may as well wait for the next rev of the PowerBook as the 800Mhz will have been around for some time by then.
What do u think?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
any tibook looks good, but they are eventually due for a new model

who knows what will come next

the basic tibook form factor is hard to beat and once motorola gets their micron process down to .13 or so for their next gen processor, then there will be almost no heat and battery issues so any processor for the desktop will be able to be put into any laptop

that is what the pc world is enjoying right now with .13 micron process and every desktop is being matched with an equally fast laptop that runs cool enough for most users

and add to that a speedstep type of operation and then we can have a 1 ghz+ tibook which gets four+ hours on a single charge

there is new software based technology coming out that allows for normal liion batteries to work longer with a laptop

soon, we will crack that nut and once we get over five hours consistently on a single charge regardless of operation, then for most people, charging a laptop up once a day only won't be a hassle

when the micron process gets way down to .09 or smaller, expect a laptop that goes all day long...and imagine a computer that uses less than one volt

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by britboy
Damn, i voted for the wrong option. If you follow the scale at the moment, the bottom of the range is $2499, the middle is 3199, and the top model is 3799. The next step would be $4299. I'd consider that a reasonable price for a SE model.

so i would put it this way, in the future

800 mhz tibook in basic config not more than $2499
decked out 800 mhz tibook not more than $2999
decked out 1000 mhz tibook $3500+ up to $3799

but better yet, how about this:

800 tibook basic with 512 MB RAM $1999

800 decked out tibook with gig of RAM, photoshop bundled, and three year applecare protection $2499

1000 tibook with works $2999

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
and with that in mind for tibook as posted above, do this for the ibook:

basic ibook $999
midrange ibook $1199
17" screen high end ibook $1499

a $1799 ibook is a little excessive if there ever comes to life a $1999 tibook

right now, there are new 550 tibooks in catalogs for $2199/2299 so a sub two thousand dollar tibook is not that far off...maybe next year...hopefully

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by jefhatfield

right now, there are new 550 tibooks in catalogs for $2199/2299 so a sub two thousand dollar tibook is not that far off...maybe next year...hopefully
Of course they are only $2199/2299 because they are now end of line.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Nipsy

Have you thought about flying to America in February, buying your new machine, and having a week of holiday paid for for £4,000?

Should be easy as long as McRaind doesn't alert HMS Customs...

I certainly have thought of that...... heh heh........ HMS Customs are the worst though...... they're so inconsistant interms of charging import tax etc.... I have bought stuff off ebay before that has been dispatched from the U.S. some has gotten through okay... other times I've had to pay a ridculous amount of money........ now I don't mind either having to pay or not... I just wish they'd get consistant with their charges......

That said when the TiBook was released mine was one of the first shipments to come to the UK, so I had mine alot sooner than alot of the U.S people because judging by what I was hearing with regards to customs in Alaska....... they was some delays going down..... heh heh!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.