How much would you pay to download a new release movie to own?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ibidiem, Sep 8, 2006.

?

How much would you pay to download a new release movie to own?

1. 14.99 is so very reasonable!

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. I'm much more likely to spring for 9.99.

20 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I don't know — 5 to 7 bucks?

23 vote(s)
    38.3%
  4. 1.99 and not a penny more!

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. AAAArrr? Now why would I want to *PAY* to download, you furgin scallywagg?

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. ibidiem macrumors member

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

I'd be willing to spend $9.99 even though it is more than the price of many on-sale DVDs. If I really wanted to see the movie, I suppose $14.99 would be ok a few times, but after a while, $14.99 per movie will add up. I rarely buy DVDs in a brick and mortar store and when I do I certainly don't pay more than $10 and I usually can find two for $12 or two for $15.

3. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

If "new release" means it just came out in theaters, I would pay $15. If it means it just came out on DVD, $10.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, a new release DVD is ~$30 so I suppose around $20.

5. Coolerking macrumors member

Coolerking

Well let's see: No disc cost with a download, No box cost for DVD with download, No Shipping or stocking costs with download... I think 10 bucks is fair.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think that's a key point - I think they'll be released concurrently with the DVDs, but there's little reason why they couldn't be released much sooner.

7. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

For 14.99 you can get new releases of DVD here in the UK, and i'd rather own the DVD for 14.99 than have a movie on my computer

8. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Say with a pirate accent--

A: Did you hear about the latest pirate movie, then?
    B: No.
    A: It's rated arrrrrrrrr.

9. ibidiem thread starter macrumors member

10. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

£14.99 for new DVDs, but they mean $14.99 which is about £8, which I would pay (for at least DVD quality and maybe the ability to burn once). That is if they ever sell films on iTunes in the UK, and if they do I'm pretty sure they will cost more than £8, probably atleast £9.99. (Which I would pay for some of my favourite ever films)

11. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

this whole movie download thing just seems dumb, time consuming, and expensive.

12. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

$0.

A download I can only play on my computer and the upcoming Media Whatzit.
    A DVD I can play everywhere.

A download I can only play in stereo on my computer (unless the Media Whatzit supports surround sound)
    A DVD I can play in DTS.

A download is either crappy resolution or takes up lots of precious hard drive space.
    A DVD is both good quality, and takes up no hard drive space.

A download will take at LEAST an hour, probably lots more, to get.
    A DVD (purchased) will take 5 min to get (trip to Target.)

That, and no deal Apple gives me will rival my Netflix account.

See where I'm going here? This doesn't apply to everyone of course. People obviously download the TV shows, another thing I would never do (unless it was one of the free eps)

13. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I would be willing to pay $9.99 since I do not get the case and art on the dvd. But it would have to be DVD quality......have to be able to be burned onto a DVD-R or DVD+R DL and be able to be used with Front Row (unlike Video_TS files now).

14. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I think it's outragously high. $10 bucks is way farking more than a studio ever made off one customer. Maybe $5. And that's just 'cause it sounds nicer than $4. When you rent a DVD at say, Blockbuster, the studio gets $2.50. ISYN. Blockbuster gets the other $2.50.

NO COST INVOLVED. I'm paying $5 or less. I can get the movie pass at Blockbuster, a 50 pack of DVD's and a few hours of free time a day for $50 bucks. That's a buck a piece *wink* for hours of entertainment.:cool:

BTY, did anyone see the Amazon player? I laughed MAO at that one.:D

15. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I wouldn't download then in the first place because it would kill my download limits...

16. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Average price for HD DVD's is $22 CAN...a waste of Time, HDD and overall not worth it...!!!

I'm guessing this is Standard Definition and Nothing but the Movie (No Special Features)...???

17. ibidiem thread starter macrumors member

good point: where do all the special features go?

(though I have to admit, in the few years I've been renting dvd's, there's only been like maybe two or three movies whose special features were worth the watch:

Master & Commander
    LOTR 2 Tower's (esp. the actor's commentary -- Merry and Pipin were f'n made for that job)
    And what else...?

18. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Let's see. A new release here costs the equivalent of less than 4 dollars for one night rental. Plus I can watch a DVD on my TV screen, which even though it may be "lower resolution" than my 20" iMac is a hell of a lot bigger and easier on the eyes without overcrowding round the screen.

So probably zero.

You guys who watch movies on your computers: are you all in dorm rooms? I mean, does anyone with a family download movies on their computers? Other than pawn [sic] I mean? ;)

19. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

now thats crazy expensive...but than again im from the US and id only pay like 5 for the download...maybe 7...

dvds are 15 new here

20. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

i am being stupid here, but it did not say if it was to just download and save on computer or if you can rip it to a dvd. Am I missing something here?

I would pay only the 5-7 if I can put it on dvd and $0 if I couldn't. Why would you put a movie on your hard drive and keep it there? It is just like my dvr that has a crap load of movies on it waiting for a dvd recorder.

21. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I think in the future, people won't "own" movies. You'll just subscribe to service that gives you every movie ever for $x / month.

Now, I have Charter In Demand service, and I get 200 or so movies at any one time, which I can watch at a moment's notice. What's the point of buying movies if you can just push a few buttons and watch. No downloading, no burning, no nothing.

I would never "buy" a movie, if it didn't come on a nice permanent disc.