Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Two quick questions.
How much is it to buy Applecare for MBP in America?

Can i buy it and come back and register it online here in Ireland or will Applecare bought in America only work there?

Big difference in price as far as i know

Thanks Steve

On notebooks, I believe that Applecare is $250 for macbooks and $350 for mbps. While you can get repairs done anywhere in the world (where there is an Apple Store), Apple advises against it due to legal conflicts. Personally however, I think it's just a bunch of bull, and it should work fine anywhere.

Whenever I find myself wondering how it is that Las Vegas is so prosperous or how lotteries continue to exist, I read one of these AppleCare threads. It's all explained here.

Ahh yes. The gambler's fallacy is a favorite of gamblers and Applecare supporters alike.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
It will be one year tomorrow since I bought my macbook, and I'm still trying to decide whether to get Applecare for it or not! It costs $419 AUD here, but theres a shop selling it for $379. It's freakin pricey.

I think I will skip it and hope for the best. I will replace my macbook in a years time anyway, hopefully nothing goes wrong before then (I had my hard drive die a few months back though :S)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
AppleCare warranties are FULLY transferrable to a new owner. This is part of the reason that you see certain used Macs selling for more than others on eBay.

I agree with everyone else here too. Just make sure that you don't FORGET to buy it, as a friend of mine did... his PowerBook died about 18 months after he bought it, and no AppleCare meant that the repairs to the tune of $1100 :eek: were his to bare... OUCH. :(

Keep in mind that in this situation, you have the choice of repairing your computer, or getting for example a refurbished one. If you bought for example a top-of-the-range MacBook when they were first released (less than 18 months ago), you could replace it today with a refurbished MacBook that is better in every respect for much less money. If you take into account the cost of AppleCare and the fact that you have been using the computer for 18 months, it is still annoying but not too awful.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
THe hard drive on laptops will usually be one of the first things to die but if you have a Macbook replacing that will be easy and a lot less than applecare

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
From my experience, murphys law applies here. If you get apple care, you'll never have a problem with your machine. If you don't get it, something will break in the 13th month of ownership.

Opposite of that happened to me. Some electronics item that I bought with three year extended warranty broke on a Tuesday. Didn't bother to take it to a shop until Saturday. When I checked all the papers, the one year warranty would have run out on Thursday!

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
I was using an iMac 20" 2ghz (2nd gen I think) for Finalcut and it was slow!!! Switch over to using my MBP (1st gen) with a 24" LG lcd and "sweet" has a new definition!
Uhm, doesn't both have the X1600? Doesn't they have similair CPUs? Only different should be faster HDD in the iMac?
Don't forget Applecare won't cover anything that might be suspect to physical damage. I personally never cared for extended warranties. All my electronic equipment have always lasted many years, but it's nice you know you have 11 months to make that decision.
Exactly, I have a home insurrance worth a little over 100.000 SEK + extra "retard insurrance" which probably cost 1000-1500 SEK in self err.. fee if something happens and I need to use it + personal insurrance if anything happen to me and it all cost like 1200-1300 SEK / year.

Sure it won't help if the computer dies for whatever reason, but the basic warranty are supposed to help with that and over here in Sweden I think we have 3 years for all "fabric issues" that is flaws which have always been there. I don't know how Apple handles them but they better do it if anything happen to my machine =P

For accidents AppleCare won't help but my current home insurrance will do. I might not get the whole computers worth back but atleast what they think it's worth when it happen. I'd rather have that warranty in case of drops, water accidents or whatever instead of buying multiple insurrances for all items I own.
If it's a notebook, definitely get AppleCare. The purchase of a notebook basically means to plan to be taking it places quite often, therefore, exposing the machine to more opportunities for problems.

It could easily save you $500-600 down the line.
But how many of those does Apple Care cover? Not accidents on bikes, people tripping over your power cable, ...

cLin

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2006
I just purchased AppleCare and was wondering what the usual turnaround time? I want to send it in for a messed up dvd burner that doesn't burn but I don't want to be without for too long

macbook

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2006
i always thougt that if you were going to buy applecare, the best time to do so would be right beofer your first year was up, tehn you can accurately gauge how much you may or may not need it

Plus - you can put the money that you would have spent in a high yield CD and make 6% on it - you thus save 6% off whatever you would pay for the warranty.!!!

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Plus - you can put the money that you would have spent in a high yield CD and make 6% on it - you thus save 6% off whatever you would pay for the warranty.!!!

Oh god, why dredge up this old and mercifully dead thread?? :(

Besides, there has to be 25 other more recent "should I buy Applecare" threads that have sprung up in it's place. How about this one? It's 5 months fresher. :p

Tman90

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2007
Bath, England
I'm thinking about buying applecare for my month old macbook. However, I do not have £200 to spend, on the online apple store. Where would a good alternative place be to buy applecare in the UK?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I bought a refurbished MB (black) almost one year ago, and it has been absolutely perfect in every way ever since. My warranty runs out next month, and I was wondering if I really need to spring for AppleCare. I would really hate for something costly to go wrong with it in the next 2 years, but I have been very much impressed so far in that I haven't had even one second's problems with the hardware. The cheapest I have found it is $169 on eBay, and I really hate to spend it if I don't need to. What are other's opinions?

Fogtripper

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy a mac laptops without Applecare.

EVER.

It is necessary.

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Definitely get the AppleCare. It's worth every penny if something goes wrong. If you're already spending $2K+ on your computer, is and extra $200 really too much?

- js

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Definitely get the AppleCare. It's worth every penny if something goes wrong. If you're already spending $2K+ on your computer, is and extra $200 really too much?

- js
I only paid $1049 for my beautiful black MB refurb, so yes, $200 does sound like a lot. I suppose it is a good insurance, and I'll probably bite, but it hurts.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I only paid $1049 for my beautiful black MB refurb, so yes, $200 does sound like a lot. I suppose it is a good insurance, and I'll probably bite, but it hurts.

Your initial instinct is correct. This is an absolutely ridiculous percentage of the original product value to invest in extending a warranty.

pvtmatter

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
I'm looking at buying either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro (probably refurbished). I'd like the Pro because I'll be using it a desktop replacement, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford it with the AppleCare.

Basically, this could be the difference between me using a MacBook or a MacBook Pro for the next several years.

So, how important is AppleCare? If my computer has problems, will I be able to get Apple to take care of it by nagging them enough even if I don't have the AppleCare?

If you bought it for your Apple notebook, do you think it was worth it? If you didn't, did you end up regretting it?

Thanks in advance.
AppleCare is only good if you need it!

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
S'not necessary at all in the first year. If you think you're going to use it for a significant time beyond that, then yeah, I'd go for the assurance AC provides. I rarely hold onto a machine longer than 12 months, myself, so I've never gone for it.

You might find credit card / home contents insurance has you adequately covered such that you don't need it, though.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy a mac laptops without Applecare.

EVER.

It is necessary.

Or not.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
+1, any problems I've encountered have been in the first 12 months :D

This thread (and the dozens of others with the same debate) just refuse to die.

If, like jnc, you know you are going to use a Mac for no more than one year I would obviously agree that Applecare would be a waste of money.

If however, like myself, you plan to use your Mac for a few years then Applecare is most definitely worth consideration. Just applying common logic, stress-induced hardware failures/problems are far more likely to occur the longer (and harder) you use a machine.

As NON user-serviceable as Macs are it sure adds a great sense of security to have that warm feeling that if anything does go wrong with your hardware Apple is going to fix it for free.

I decided to save the cash for Applecare on my 20" Core Duo iMac and it had a logic board failure 6 weeks out of the one year limited warranty. That only cost me $550. :(

Applecare for the iMac from L.A. Computer is $120. That's $5 per month over the extended 24 months of coverage. And for the 10,000th time, even if you don't have cause to use the coverage you do get something for your money: peace of mind.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
This thread (and the dozens of others with the same debate) just refuse to die.

If, like jnc, you know you are going to use a Mac for no more than one year I would obviously agree that Applecare would be a waste of money.

If however, like myself, you plan to use your Mac for a few years then Applecare is most definitely worth consideration. Just applying common logic, stress-induced hardware failures/problems are far more likely to occur the longer (and harder) you use a machine.

As NON user-serviceable as Macs are it sure adds a great sense of security to have that warm feeling that if anything does go wrong with your hardware Apple is going to fix it for free.

I decided to save the cash for Applecare on my 20" Core Duo iMac and it had a logic board failure 6 weeks out of the one year limited warranty. That only cost me $550. :(

Applecare for the iMac from L.A. Computer is $120. That's $5 per month over the extended 24 months of coverage. And for the 10,000th time, even if you don't have cause to use the coverage you do get something for your money: peace of mind.

But for the love of frank, just don't buy AppleCare at the time of purchase regardless. Anyone on MR is not going to require the extended phone support (broad assumption) - and by getting AC at purchase you're paying for something you won't utilise for a last a year from that point.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
But for the love of frank, just don't buy AppleCare at the time of purchase regardless. Anyone on MR is not going to require the extended phone support (broad assumption) - and by getting AC at purchase you're paying for something you won't utilise for a last a year from that point.

Oh, absolutely no arguments there. It would be foolish to buy Applecare from Apple period when there are much cheaper alternatives like L.A. Computer and online auctions for the exact same thing.

Good point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.