How Nessary is Blue Tooth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dornoforpyros, Oct 29, 2004.

1. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Hey Folks,

So I'll probably be buying my first mac in the next month or so(got 2 $1100 cheques on the way :) ) and I was wondering just how nessary getting blue tooth BTO is?
    The only thing I can see myself using it for is if I spring for the wireless key board and mouse otherwise I dunno if I need it.
    I don't own a cell phone or pda and I never plan on buying once since I've got a bit of a vendetta against them.
    I'm just wondering if their are other BT devices I may be over looking.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Given the relatively small additional cost and the relatively log lifetime of your Mac, I think it's a great investment. Worst case? You're out $50. Internal BT is nice.

3. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

well it's actualy an extra $70 cost canadian. Which I agree isn't alot of money but if I'm never gonna use it than I might as well keep the money.

So I guess to simplify...what other devices outside of cellphones use blue tooth?

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

hmmm, you didn't mention what mac you are buying (laptop vs. desktop), and bluetooth has more advantages for one (laptops) over the other, imho.

for a laptop, bluetooth allows you to use a bluetooth-equipped cell phone as a modem when you are away from a wifi hotspot (or don't have an airport extreme card installed to begin with) to get an internet connection. additionally, many laptop users have a specialized set-up at home for ergonomic purposes that requires setting the laptop up on a stand that would make it difficult to type on directly. so, a wireless keyboard and/or mouse are usually helpful.

for a desktop, i don't think it's as compelling an argument, but, i own a powerbook, so i could be biased here. if cords get in your way even while at a desk, a wireless keyboard and mouse would still be very useful.

regardless of whether you're getting a desktop or laptop, bluetooth does offer easier ways to sync phones and pdas with your mac. but you mentioned that you have neither, so this is pretty much moot for you.

as i understand it, you can't add bluetooth to macs internally after they're built (unless you're very mechanically inclined and adventurous, i suppose), and you'd need an external bluetooth dongle if you decide you want bluetooth later. i don't think those are too expensive, so you'd just need to evaluate the price of an external device in comparison to the BTO option price.

i can't think of any other external devices that would make it worthwhile, outside of keyboards, mice, cell phones, and pda's. one thing to think of is re-sale value. if you think you'll upgrade your mac in a few years and would therefore sell it, having bluetooth BTO could be very helpful.

i use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and have a bluetooth cell phone (nokia 6620) to use as a modem for my powerbook and share files between the two. i also have a bluetooth headset, which i love, for my cell phone. bluetooth is my friend!

good luck in making your choice! btw, what do you have against cell phones and pda's?

marianne

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed - if it's a desktop you're getting, skip the BT. There's no huge plus (it's trivial to add the dongle in back and never see it). But for laptops, BT is a pain to add via dongle later, and, whether or not you (currently) have a use for it, BT will affect your resale value later. It might not bring in more money, but it might allow a sale that non-BT would prevent.

6. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I dunno, I just hate hearing ppl talk on them on the bus. I hate hearing them ring in restaurants/movie theaters. I hate seeing ppl frantically checking their messages the minute the seat belt sign goes off on the air plane.

My biggest beef with them and the main reason I'll never own is that I don't need to be reached 24/7. If I feel like leaving town for the weekend(or even just the afternoon) I don't want ppl to be able to reach me.

As for the desktop/laptop argument I haven't fully decided yet. I'd really like one of the new 14" iBooks but a 17" iMac is more in my price/performance range.

7. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i can see that. people are getting incredibly rude with cell phone usage nowadays. i have to say that i'm actually in favor of bans on using cell phones while driving (or at least using a hands-free device), and even in restaurants and other places. i like having a cell phone because, as a small chick, i want to be able to call for help if i'm stranded somewhere or in some other potentially dangerous situation. i vowed to get a cell phone after i got stuck with a flat tire in the middle of west virginia at night once a few years ago. luckily, i haven't really had to use it for such an extreme situation, but it has been very handy when running late to meet/pick up someone or the usual "what do you need while i'm at the grocery store" calls to my husband. i have absolutely no qualms about not picking it up when i don't feel like being disturbed - that's why i have voicemail and a "silent" profile on my phone!

marianne

8. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Yeah I certanly understand that a cell phone is a dang nice thing to have when your stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire but how many times does that happen to people? Maby 2-3 times in your entire life time?

Seeing as I don't own a car either I doubt that'll happen to me :p

Now if i could sync my iPod with BT than I'd be in business! :D

9. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I use my cell regularly but even if I didn't, I'd still have one in my car in case I was stranded somewhere. It goes with the condom analogy for me: I'd rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have one.

10. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Bluetooth is a must for any computer, laptop or desktop. If you don't, you'll be sorry when the first Bluetooth printers hit the market.

11. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

12. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

meh I think I'll save the $70 and if it really comes down to it I'll sacrifice a USB port for a dongle.

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-dornoforpyros

If it is not too late, I'd like to add my bit-and-a-half.

I find Bluetooth indispensable for my occupation. Presentations, Calendar and Address book synchronizing, and even an auxillary DVD player if I'm in a hotel room.

Without it, I'd always be late, I have all of my coworkers in my phone - never would do that w/o syching and the wireless is so darn convenient for that - nothing to lose/plug/in/be tethered to desk, etc.

14. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

if i were dead set on a lap top I'd probably go for it but since I'm most likely goign with an iMac I don't thinks I need it. Like I said before...I hate cellphones and thus will never buy one.

15. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I few months of ago I would of said "get bluetooth, its the wave of the future." I have yet to see a must have device for bluetooth other than for wireless mice/keyboards. That said, I still think its worth it even if you do just use it for wireless mouse/keyboard.

PS: necessary and Bluetooth. ;)

16. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I have BT in my G5 iMac and neither my phone nor PDA is BT. I love the wireless KB and mouse. I don't know what Apple offers in Canada but in the US, they offer a BT, KB, mouse bundle for $99 US. Too good a deal to pass up. If you buy it, you will not get wired KB or mouse.

17. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yeah the wireless BT mouse and keyboard is $130. I've thought about it and I may still buy it just cuz it would be rather nice to be able to sit back from the computer. Eh we'll see.

18. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I use my Sony Ericsson T630 with my G5 and iBook almost daily. iSync is a fantastic app, and I love having all my contacts at my finger tips so easily. Another great bluetooth app is Salling Clicker you can check it out here: http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

Even if you don't have a need for it now, you may in the future and it's such a small cost you can't go wrong by having it.

19. atomiton macrumors regular

apparently 10.3.5 has built in support for bluetooth remote controls without additional software.

20. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

Laptop or G5 = yes to Bt. Not that you will regret it, but you may regret not getting it. Resale, phones, mice, GPS, etc., it is very useful and nice. iMac or eMac and the $35 dongle is just fine.

21. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I think that unless you have a specific use for bluetooth in mind then it's a waste of money.

22. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

You look like you are already dead-set against it. I am confused on what you want now?

23. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Get BT, you will want to have the KB and mouse as well. get the BT.

Repeat after me:

Bluetooth is necessary for me and my mac.

Did I suggest to get BT?

24. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I can think of three reasons why you should pay what is a marginal additional cost for bluetooth to be built-in:

1. If you are going for a laptop a bluetooth mouse is a really neat solution

2. If you are going for the new iMac having a bluetooth keyboard and mouse setup really tidies up the setup, removing all bar one power cable.

3. If you think you may well sell whichever computer you choose in the future, having bluetooth built-in will certainly help.

Of all three I think the last one is probably the most pertinent, whether you personally like BT or not.

Vanilla

25. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Forget sitting back. The cables on the keyboard alone are PITA because you have to drape them across the front of the desk. They're too short to go around the back (unless you cut a hole). I just got a G5 at work with a BT keyboard. I want to replace my wired keyboard at home.

To me, it's only $50 ($70can), which is fairly small amount. Who knows--you may find it really useful down the road. Even though I don't use iSync with my cell phone regularly, I LOVE the fact that I didn't have to type in all the info.